Cost effective tripod

I am looking for a cost effective tripod....ok I am looking for a cheap tripod.

It will be used primarily for a game camera. This game camera is heavy, but the weight is centered and it is not a zoom lens.

It will be left in the rain. It may be taken. It needs to be non-reflective or I need to spray paint it.

Recommendations?

Remember I said cost effect/cheap.

PS> When not used for the game camera, it might get used for a point in shoot or spotting scope or ...

PSS> I broke the last cheap tripod. Cheap plastic gets brittle over time.

I'm afraid to ask how much is cheap? Risk of theft probably means real cheap.

Nail a piece of 2x4 board to a tree. Or three of them for tripod legs, more versatile, but could be knocked over. The tripod screw and camera base is a standard 1/4"x20 NC screw (any hardware store in North America). You could use an elongated hole and some shims to aim it up or down, or two boards on a hinge, etc.

I'm afraid to ask how much is cheap? Risk of theft probably means real cheap.

Well until recently (when I broke it), I was using a no name tripod. I would not be surprised if it was a $12 tripod.

I want/need something that has all the normal adjustments a tripod has.

I see several in the $30 range that should work, but didn't know if there is a better or worse decision.

Search amazon for surveying tripods and mod them to fit a ballhead. They're made for abuse and since it's not "photography" related it's reasonably priced.

Here's one from Dewalt, for around $50.

Manfrotto sells cheap adapters.

Now all you need is a decent head and you're in business. The head (with the manfrotto adapter) you carry with you; if the tripod gets stolen you can get another one for next to nothing.

Can you just strap the camera to a tree using bungee cords? I've seen game cameras set up like that.

There are issues with this method.
1. You must have the right trees in the right position.
2. If you don't buy special brackets, you lose the ability to point it in as specified earlier.

I was surprised, but B&H has several in the $10 to $15 class, and some of them have surprisingly many strong ratings. Seems no free shipping on these however.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ns=p_PRICE_2|0&ci=2635&N=4052722025&srtclk=sort

Very tempted to buy a Magnus PV-5320 Photo Tripod With 3-Way Pan and Tilt Head Price: $22.95 Thoughts?

BTW, I have been able to mend the current tripod. It will last for at least one more session. I give it 1-3 months before I break it again.

Latest threads

Top Bottom