Cost of lens adjustment by Nikon for out of warranty lenses

Can anyone provide a range of what Nikon typically charges to adjust a lens that is out of warranty? I'd like to send my 80-200 in to see if they can improve things at 200mm, but am not sure how much they'd want for something like that.

I hope you get some knowledgeable replies. I've got a second-hand ebay 18-70 with dust in it that would be a very good walk-around lens but for the dust. It would be interesting to know if Nikon would even work on it and if so what they might charge me.

I hope you get some knowledgeable replies. I've got a second-hand ebay 18-70 with dust in it that would be a very good walk-around lens but for the dust. It would be interesting to know if Nikon would even work on it and if so what they might charge me.
How much dust? Every one of my lenses that have parts that move in and out have dust in them. It makes no impact on image quality. My 35-70 has alot of dust, it's no big deal.

How much dust? Every one of my lenses that have parts that move in and out have dust in them. It makes no impact on image quality. My 35-70 has alot of dust, it's no big deal.
It isn't a problem if I shoot it wide open but if I stop it down to f/8 like I usually want to do for my landscapes I get big noticeable blotches. Most of the time I can zap these out with the healing brush if they end up in the middle of a patch of blue sky but they are a real pain in a** if they land on top of a cloud or anything else that is light-toned.

Just called Nikon for you and they told me....

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Exactly, sensor dust I think is your issue.

OP - 80-200mm at 200mm is not that great, especially wide open. Please post examples.

If it was the sensor wouldn't these blotches be in the same place on every image regardless of what lens I use?

Not arguing with you guys, just trying to understand what I'm dealing with.

If it was the sensor wouldn't these blotches be in the same place on every image regardless of what lens I use?

Not arguing with you guys, just trying to understand what I'm dealing with.
If you want to see if this is an issue wait for a nice clear day, stop it down to f/22 and point it at the sky. Pick another lens, at the same focal length and aperture and do the same. If your dust free lens shot doesn't have any dust bunnies on the pic then you were right. I'm willing to bet that it's sensor dust though.

f/2.8 will hide the dust on even a very dusty sensor. f/22 will show every little bit of dust on the sensor. I've never heard of dust in the lens being visible, that's not to say it isn't possible however.

How about calling Nikon and getting an answer directly from the source? :confused:
Well, because the Cafe is usually full of nice knowledgeable people who can answer questions like this fairly quickly, and the last time I called Nikon they told me I had to send in the lens in order for them to quote a "repair" price.

I'll post a few test shots shortly. I know the 80-200 is known to be soft at 200mm wide open, but I also hear a lot of people around here saying that their copy is pretty good. I'm just noticing that even stopped down it seems a bit softer than I'd like.

Okay, here are some terribly uninteresting test shots. These are all 100% crops w/ USM applied in Capture NX. Shot on a tripod. What do you think? To my eye, 200mm is pretty soft even stopped down, but perhaps not enough that Nikon will be able to do anything if I send it in.

80-200 @ 135mm f/2.8

80-200 @ 200mm f/2.8

80-200 @ 200mm f/4

And just for fun, the 85 1.4G @ 1.4...

i see a backfocus at 200mm.

the pattern at the right part of the image seems sharper, and that pattern is behind the focal plane of the center of the image...

There's AF Fine Tune on the D300, I would suggest working with it a little. Definitely some back focus there. Bet you can get it perfect with a little time on AF Fine Tune.

I sent in my wife's 18-200VR last week for a rattle in the front element. The estimate is $97.65 including tax. I don't think return shipping is included in that.

Thanks all for the replies. I'll mess around with AF Fine Tune some more. I'm at -2 now, which seems to work for all FL other than 200mm, so my concern is "fixing" it at 200mm may make focus worse at other FLs. After that if the problem still exists, I'll try sending it in - probably worth $100 to me if Nikon can fix it.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom