1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Cost of replacing battery cover and bottom faceplate on a Nikon N55

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Steve Zalewski, Aug 12, 2008.

1. August 12, 2008

A friend of mine owns a Nikon N55 SLR camera. On Saturday, he got together with me for a photo shoot in Syracuse, NY and he told me that he was having problems with his camera after he loaned it out to a young lady who is a friend of his.

Apparently when he got his camera returned from her, he noticed that the battery cover was knocked off of the camera and that his friend had attempted to GLUE the battery cover back onto the camera body. The glue of course made a mess on the cover, and on the positive side of the battery cover where the batteries inside the camera make contact with the cover itself.

I was able to get the glue off positive post of the battery cover with some contact cleaner and test his 2 CR-2 batteries and put them in the camera and then put the cover on the camera with the batteries inside the camera and make the camera work and then tape the battery cover down with some stick cello tape so that my friend's camera would work on the photo shoot.

I'm wondering if anyone knows approximately the cost would be to have Nikon replace the battery cover and the face plate on the bottom of the camera. My friend will have to send it to Nikon and the young lady agreed to pay for the repair costs. I think the bottom face plate will have to be replaced due to the fact that there is some glue on that as well and it looks pretty crummy. By the way, I told my friend NOT to loan out his camera again.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Steve Zalewski
    Syracuse, NY

2. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    The good news is - less than $65 - because for that price you can get another one at KEH. :smile:

Years ago when dial-up was the standard my (now spouse) fiance used my laptop while I was on vacation in Europe. The integrated modem had a very small connector that folds out in a 45 degree angle. My honey doesn't believe it works that way and manages to rip the entire thing out - she realized as the wires came out that, maybe, it wasn't supposed to go that far. Whoops :biggrin:

Seriously, sending it to Nikon is likely not a good idea - it's probably cheaper to get a replacement (why limit yourself to an N55? Go for that F100!) unless you can find a battery cover somewhere for a few bucks.

3. August 13, 2008

The camera belongs to a friend. I already own an F5 so I don't need a F100.

He is kind of attached to his camera, but I appreciate your comments. I will tell him that he can get a replacement from KEH for about $65.00 but, he may want to spend more money to get his camera fixed, since he got it new, and like I said is attached to it.

Thank you for your help

Steve Zalewski
    Syracuse, NY

4. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    Keep in mind he could even go for the cheapest one he can find on ebay and cannabiilize it for parts.

5. August 14, 2008

Thank you everyone, for your comments and assistance I will pass them on to my friend with the broken Nikon N55 camera.

I appreciate everyone taking the time and answering my posting. Thanks Again.

Steve Zalewski
    Syracuse, NY

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.