Costa Rica trip (Tamron 18-400)

Went to Costa Rica in Feb. with Caravan Tour 'Costa Rica natural paradise'. Since this is not a birding related tour, I left home with Nikon 200-500 and took a Tamron 18-400 along with D500 to try 'travel light'. Still I saw quite a few birds that I've never seen before. The image quality is definitely not as good as 200-500. Here are a few:

1. Chestnut-mandibled toucan, Manuel Antonio National Park
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Bare-throated Tiger-Heron, Tarcoles River

3. Boat-billed Heron, Cano Negro wildlife refuge

4. Rufous Motmot, Hanging Bridge, Fortuna

5. White-throated Magpie-Jay, J.W.Marriott, Guanacaste

Very nice---I'm most envious of your fabulous motmot shot; seen often but never photographed!
Thanks Nick! We were lucky to see 3 of motmots in a short walking trip near hanging bride in Fortuna.

great shots!
I actually just pulled the trigger on that lens. I was on the fence about it for probably a year. I waited until the semi-annual Tamron sale ($100 off until Jan 5) and at B&H they throw in a free B+W UV filter and Tap-In console. I should get it on Friday.
I have seen great shots, and I have seen horrible shots with that lens. I have come to the conclusion that if you know what you’re doing, it won’t disappoint.
I get that it won’t produce images as nice as the 200-500 (I have that one, too ;) ), but I got it for practical reasons. I only have two primes (35mm & 90mm) along with the 200-500, and I have to say that I do seriously miss having a practical zoom. I rarely shoot these days because I feel that I can’t cat many shots I envision. Sometimes I would swap between the primes and use the in-camera crop-factor to “zoom” in or out, but most of all it pisses my wife off when she has to constantly wait for me to
And what’s more is that the 18-400 is supposedly “weather-sealed” (to a point, I know), and that is something that is absolutely a necessity for me. I am often shooting outdoors on hikes and such, and more often than not I have been caught in the rain and wind. When I hiked across a black-sand desert in Iceland, I only took a handful of shots and the lens I had at the time (first-gen Tamron 18-270 non-pzd) got full of sand. I had to get it cleaned out by Tamron and the tech pretty much yelled at me over email...
The 18-400 is supposed to surpass the IQ of the old 18-270 by leaps and bounds. If it is, then I’ll be a happy camper.

Iceland:

Attachments

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom