Could I be related....?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sybull, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Wilst visiting erelatives in France a few days a go, I was showing my dad some photo's I had taken of the property he had just bought over there (albeit on the back screen of my D40). He mentioned how the right tools in the right hands made all the difference and how my famous french relative would have been impressed. When I asked him "What famous relative ?" he said "You know, that Mr whats-his-name Bresson". So I said "who, Cartier Bresson ?" and he said "Yes".

Know I know my french relatives surnames are Bresson, but I have know way of knowing how common a surname is this so made connection. Can anyone point me to a geneology sight where I can do some research on the french side of my familly. In my Aunt house there is Familly tree but that only goes up to 1866 or something

Any help would be much appreciated.

2. jcovert

jcovert Guest

how sweet would that be if you were related!:cool:

3. sypher

sypher

May 24, 2006
    Cougar Country
    ancestry.com
    Google gave me 5,450,000 hits under geneology

4. A lot of these services you have to pay for, so I am wondering wether to join up or not.

5. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    I wouldn't be surprised - then again, if you go back far enough in time you'd be surprised with how many people you share ancestors! Remember, for every generation the number of ancestors doubles.

Go back 15 generations and you're talking about more than 30,000 ancestors! Of course, the records are usually only kept of the notables in town. Down to the baker, the butcher, etc, but not your average peon.

Which is why so many people proudly announce that they're related to Charlemange - and they're probably right! Then again, go back that much in time and most Europeans are, of course. :smile:

6. JoJo2Fast

JoJo2Fast

Nov 20, 2007
    Auburn, WA
    Haha it's a suprise huh! I just found out I am related to Bruce Hudson about a month ago. Not sure if many people know who he is but he's a pretty big photographer from around my area.