Could've been better..Right Gale?

Discussion in 'Birds' started by woundedmallard, Mar 25, 2007.

1. Hey Everybirdy,

Took Giacomo to a birthday party in Melbourne this afternoon and knew he'd be good for a nap, long enough for a spin or two around Viera WEtlands.
    Wasn't really clickin' with the scene but was just going through the motions and enjoying a little birding and shooting mildly here and there from the car window and practicing my digiscoping techniques. A couple of shutters had found an American Bittern up ahead and I decided to join in, but was trying to digiscope it rather than shoot it straight. Sure enough, it takes off and I miss a killer opportunity to nail a series of flight shots as I'm fumbling with my scope!! :rolleyes:
    Living here and being spoiled rotten about it :tongue: , I know my chance will come again. I did manage to fire off 2 quick BIF shots in addition to a few static shots in between the fumbling. Needless to say, but they could've been better.
    Gale arrived on the scene about a minute or two too late. Timing is everything they say, eh Gale? lol :biggrin:
    original.

View attachment 87078

Was messing with this Wilson's Snipe when the small crowd attracted me to the Bittern.
    View attachment 87079

2. Great catches Thomas.

Louie

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    That is a tough bird to shoot. He just looks to much like his environment.
    The flight shot is good.
    I have see that ol snipe hanging around here and there:>))

All together good job
    Good seeing you.
    Your boy is just a doll.

4. Congrats on seeing the AB and getting a few shots off of him. :)

I was at Viera yesterday for sunrise and stayed a few hours. In that time I saw: Bald Eagle (in "his" tree), Caracara with some roadkill in his mouth doing a flyby, Harrier swooping the fields, an Osprey diving for fish (successfully) and a Black Skimmer skimming for a good 10 minutes. All this in addition to the normal characters. Just didn't see the AB, at Viera or MINWR (which is bone dry for some reason).

5. Thanks everyone, for your comments and for checking it out.

I forgot about your Bittern quest! :biggrin: Also saw 4 Least Bitterns in case you're interested.
    As for the refuge, it's been a very dry season. With shorebirds coming in, it should prove useful, especially for me! Love my shorebirds. They do manage the impoundmnets for both waterfowl and shorebirds but with the lack of rain, I doubt much of that has come in to play at this point.