Count Dracula

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by zidder, Dec 28, 2005.

1. zidder

zidder

Dec 17, 2005
    Nottingham UK
    [​IMG]

Set high on a headland, Whitby Abbey’s gaunt and moving remains have associations as diverse as Victorian jewellery, whaling and Count Dracula. Those who choose to approach the Abbey – up the 199 steps from Whitby town – know the meaning of dedication!

Over the centuries the headland has been an inspiration to all sorts of people, for very different reasons. Anglo Saxon saints and kings are buried on it, medieval monks built their abbey here, the flamboyant Cholmley family came to own it, and two Victorians made it famous world wide. Bram Stoker with his Dracula, and Frank Meadow Sutcliffe with countless black and white photographs

Nikon D70
    2005/08/25 13:48:58.2
    JPEG (8-bit) Normal
    Image Size: 1943 x 1472
    Lens: 18-70mm F/3.5-4.5 G
    Focal Length: 70mm
    Exposure Mode: Manual
    Metering Mode: Multi-Pattern
    1/500 sec - F/5
    Exposure Comp.: 0 EV
    Sensitivity: ISO 200
    Optimize Image: Custom
    White Balance: Cloudy
    AF Mode: AF-C
    Flash Sync Mode: Not Attached
    Color Mode: Mode IIIa (sRGB)
    Tone Comp.: Medium High
    Hue Adjustment: 0°
    Saturation: Enhanced
    Sharpening: Medium high

2. Robert

Robert

Jul 24, 2005
    Canada
    I have a fascination with castles, and living on the "other side" of the ocean means my appetite for seeing them is never quite satiated! :frown:
    I would very much love to climb those stairs and would probably take them 2 at a time!
    ...very nice shot!! Do you have some other castle shots to share?

Thanks,
    Robert

3. zidder

zidder

Dec 17, 2005
    Nottingham UK
    [​IMG]

This is not exactly a castle, but a large statley house near Nottingham

4. Robert

Robert

Jul 24, 2005
    Canada
    Home sweet home!

Hello Gary,

Thanks for posting your terrific shot! I really must make plans to visit England. I would love to see and shoot first hand these wonderful sites.
    Is this particular home open to the public? The architecture and history...so much to see and learn about!

Regards,
    Robert

5. Hi Gary,

It sort of looks like a castle. Nice shot and the deer are pretty impressive as well.

6. zidder

zidder

Dec 17, 2005
    Nottingham UK
    Hi Robert,

Yes it is open to the public,at the moment it is undergoing a makeover,for years it has been natual history museum,it is now being restored to a house.
    It is called Wollaton Hall and has a fantastic history,Kings,Queens etc.

Of course there is always Nottingham Castle (Robin Hood and that ) although that again is not really a castle either