country racing!

working at a rural weekly paper, one of my regular assignments is a day at the races.

i took my spanking new D3s and 14-24 along with some old friends a 35-70D and 400/2.8.

the 14-24 is a tricky little sucker to get the best out of. i've not much experience with glass wider than 20mm, so there's a learning curve. it's a lot of fun though.

lrsr20382.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Race two gets into the barriers. shot from across the track, 400/2.8, TC20EII
lrsr20412.jpg

Gesink, at right, runs down Candy Can to win the second race, 400/2.8, TC20EII
lrsr20433.jpg

a good mate of mine i only see on race days, Scotty get's ready for race three. 14-24
lrsr20448.jpg

race three sets off! 14-24
lrsr20505.jpg

another mate of mine from race days, Butch, crosses to win race four. a simple 105mm lens shot at most country racetracks.
lrsr20463.jpg

two good reasons to come to the races, 35-70.
lrsr20477.jpg

three more good reasons to head for the races, 35-70.

I'm really liking #2 and the lower angle on #4.

The images, however, dont look real crisp. Maybe its imageshack down-rezing the photos?

thanks guys! glad you like 'em.

it's a routine assignment, so the challenge is to try and get something different from the boring 105mm First Past The Post shot.

like the low perspective of the start...were you holding or did you set up a remote?
handheld, lying on my belly under the barrier.

next time, i'll try and move ~5m further to my right (down the track) to hopefully get the horses coming at me.

if/when i get a remote i'll try for the old under-the-rails-at-the-post shot. mind you, last time i tried that my FM2+Drive+20mm got kicked by a racehorse and wound up embedded in the bonnet of a car.

how you liking the D3s (as if I didn't know :smile:)
lovin it.

The images, however, dont look real crisp. Maybe its imageshack down-rezing the photos?

it must be an imageshack or similar thing. the base files are so sharp you can count every hair on the horses.

for web posting, i've been cropping my pix to 900 pixels on the long side and saving at .jpg level 3 (Low). that might be the cause, but any suggestions gratefully received!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom