Critique Countryside buildings

I played around with SEP and now feel that Terri's interpretation is best for the scene. As Bart notes, the roofline is visible against the sky and then it fades into it as the tree encroaches. Even selectively darkening the roof makes the scene gloomy.
So, well done, Terri, again!

Working on snow texture is really easy ....If you use control colors U points in Nikon Capture Nx2
You are the snow expert!! I worked on the photo again and will be sharing it in this thread in a few minutes. I tried to bring out some texture in the snow, but the light was so flat, there really wasn't much in the image to bring out.

Perhaps Terri has saved the image with a security setting? I just opened one of my images in PS CC and then opened NIK SEP. NIK SEP is working just fine.
I don't think I did. It looks like Bart figured it out. I didn't choose any kind of B&W color mode. Perhaps silver efex pro adds it.

I have a secondhand camera that produces monochrom images @Butlerkid.
I remembered you have to make sure they are treated as RGB otherwise SEP won't accept these.
It's a "set it and forget it" kind of thing but I remembered the need for this.
This Is good info. I didn't change any color mode settings but will try exporting it again and see what happens.

I played around with SEP and now feel that Terri's interpretation is best for the scene. As Bart notes, the roofline is visible against the sky and then it fades into it as the tree encroaches. Even selectively darkening the roof makes the scene gloomy.
So, well done, Terri, again!
Thanks for your vote of confidence, Nick. I'm such a novice at this, but it sure is fun to play around with.

I just worked on the image again. I started all over from the raw image in lightroom. I used the brush tool to try to bring out the texture in the snow. Then I opened in photoshop and used SEP from there. I saved it back into lightroom and exported it as a jpeg. I used the SRGB color mode in the export.

I'm going to put both my attempts in this post for comparison. I think I still like the first one best, but would love to hear your opinions.

#1 The first image that I shared earlier.

DSC_2844-Edit.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

#2 The second edit with the roof darkened a bit and detail added to the snow.

DSC_2844-Edit-2.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

There is so little difference between the original and revised versions that my hunch is that the monitor settings are going to make the most difference as to which version people prefer. On my calibrated monitor, the very small, tasteful difference in the revised version makes a world of difference in context because it brings about just enough separation between the roof and the sky that I don't have to concentrate to see it.

I just now looked at the embedded data in the last 30 images I made using Silver Efex Pro 2 and all of them had the color profile RGB colour.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I agree with Mike. The revised version could be "pulled back" just a bit on the left where the separation was already dicernable. Start out the raw's in RGB or ProRGB and 16 bit!!!! With color images you want to do in B&W, a little extra saturation adjustment layer with help before going to SEP. Do all your processing ...then only go to 8 bit and sRGB for jpg output.

Eh, I prefer the original version as well.
The snow looks "tainted" to me in the revised version. As if it's beginning to melt.
You know, "des goûts et des couleurs ne se discutent pas"(*) :) (there's no discussing taste and colour)
colour or lack thereof in this case.
@Mike Buckley, wouldn't everyone's monitor be calibrated in this forum?

(*) this phrase is often followed by "but everyone keeps doing it" :)

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Eh, I prefer the original version as well.
The snow looks "tainted" to me in the revised version. As if it's beginning to melt.
You know, "des goûts et des couleurs ne se discutent pas"(*) :) (there's no discussing taste and colour)
colour or lack thereof in this case.

(*) this phrase is often followed by "but everyone keeps doing it" :)
Just to be clear, I was only suggestion the roof line on the very top right be darkened just a bit. Not the entire roof. And not both left and right sides! LOL!

So glad Terri can humor all our suggestions! LOL!

Most of the people that regularly post messages in the forum probably use a calibrated monitor but there are probably 10 - 20 times as many lurkers. My guess is that a higher percentage of lurkers don't use calibrated monitors. Even so, I wouldn't be surprised if 10% to 20% of the participants that post messages aren't using calibrated monitors.

Besides, it's not just whether the monitor is calibrated; it also has to do with the monitor's brightness and the brightness of the environment the monitor is being viewed in. As an example, the difference between Terri's two versions is so subtle that if the lighting in my room isn't set to the ideal brightness, I can't detect that difference.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Most of the people that regularly post messages in the forum probably use a calibrated monitor but there are probably 10 - 20 times as many lurkers. My guess is that a higher percentage of lurkers don't use calibrated monitors. Even so, I wouldn't be surprised if 10% to 20% of the participants that post messages aren't using calibrated monitors.

Besides, it's not just whether the monitor is calibrated; it also has to do with the monitor's brightness and the brightness of the environment the monitor is being viewed in. As an example, the difference between Terri's two versions is so subtle that if the lighting in my room isn't set to the ideal brightness, I can't detect that difference.
Agreed. And I calibrated my monitor today. It was "only" 60 days out of calibration! LOL! But I shoot so little, it didn't bother me. BTW - I calibrate at 115 brightness. Have thought about changing it to 120.....but 115 is where it is today.

A friend brought up my website on his home computer, and I wanted to SHOUT.....NO....that is not how the images should look. He was using an off the shelf computer set at max brightness. ARGHHHHH! I choked and said nothing.....

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom