Couple more flies

These seem to be a tad better pics taken this morning of the "black" fly which turns out to be brown. These are just slightly smaller than a smallish bumble bee, so are large for a fly (I assume this is a fly, anyone help here?). Promise to send no more fly pics after these. Dozens and dozens of these things, and many, many others such as hover flies, bees, wasps, green flies, lightening bugs, beetles on these flowers. Apparently this is in the mint family as the crushed leaves have a strong mint smell.

28480397-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

28480399-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Jerry Snider

Incredible detail...great shots..!!

Notice you have the D2X set on AF-C...how does that work with the 200 f4 for this kind of shot compared with AF-S...???

Thanks, Mike, for the input. Originally I shot all of my 200 micro photos at AF-S, but I find that the number of keepers has increased somewhat since using AF-C. This applies only to bugs and critters sitting on plants which, in a slight, breeze move a bit. Of course, it may be that I am improving on my technique as well, so don't know if this is an accurate analysis. Most of the stuff I have shot and posted here in the macro/plant forum involved the critters moving a bit thus the reason for the change.
Indeed, I shot several this morning using manual focus which I have always preferred, but quickly changed to auto focus! I had an inordinately high number of keepers during the morning's shooting for some reason. Really scary!!
Hope this answers your question.
Jerry Snider

C

clifphoto1055

Excellent captures Mike! I have always thought the 200mm micro would be a fun lens to own and use. You've gone and got me thinking about acquiring one. :D Thanks for sharing.

C

clifphoto1055

WOOPS! Sorry Jerry. How foolish of me. :oops: I read the wrong signature. Boy do I feel silly. :oops: :oops: Anyway Jerry, Excellent captures indeed.

clifphoto1055 said:
WOOPS! Sorry Jerry. How foolish of me. :oops: I read the wrong signature. Boy do I feel silly. :oops: :oops: Anyway Jerry, Excellent captures indeed.

Gee Clifton, how many of us haven't made this boo boo. :lol:

At least you caught yours. :wink:

Excellent shots Jerry. I like your flies. 8)

Jerry Snider said:
Thanks, Mike, for the input. Originally I shot all of my 200 micro photos at AF-S, but I find that the number of keepers has increased somewhat since using AF-C. This applies only to bugs and critters sitting on plants which, in a slight, breeze move a bit. Of course, it may be that I am improving on my technique as well, so don't know if this is an accurate analysis. Most of the stuff I have shot and posted here in the macro/plant forum involved the critters moving a bit thus the reason for the change.
Indeed, I shot several this morning using manual focus which I have always preferred, but quickly changed to auto focus! I had an inordinately high number of keepers during the morning's shooting for some reason. Really scary!!
Hope this answers your question.

Yep.....will have to try it and see...have always used AF-S....Mike

Jerry Snider

Latest threads

Top Bottom