Couple more Ichneumon wasps--the last bunch

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Jerry Snider, Sep 29, 2005.

1. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    Couple more shots of the ovipositing Ichneumon wasps. The 2nd pic is of the largest one--the wasp measured 4.5 cm (1 7/8") and the ovipositor was a tad over 7 cm long (ca. 2 3/4")

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. looks like a well digging rig. very interesting creature and it could not have been captured any better.
    Dave

3. Amazing creature Jerry and well captured.

Martin

4. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    I have never heard of this insect before. These are so interesting. The photos are just fabulous.

5. Those look even better than the other shots, very sharp.

6. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    Thanks Dave. Always appreciate your input.

7. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    Martin, Terri, Gilles, thanks for looking and your comments.
    Gilles, the white balance is better on these two pics. The earlier ones were quickly post processed and didn't use my normal setup for the macros.

8. Beautiful pics indeed!!!

By the way, I checked your flash system and I must say it´s admirable... I also checked your other pics postings here and the same adjective is valid also with them. Great shots!!!
    clapsmiley.

I´m waiting for a LumiQuest softbox which I´m going to use with SB-600...
    Well, I hope I´ll find that enough for me, I mean I think I´m not ready for huge flash systems...atleast not yet... :smile:
    ...also waiting my Gitzo g2220...

9. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    [Partial QUOTE=j.ankanpaa]I´m waiting for a LumiQuest softbox which I´m going to use with SB-600...
    Well, I hope I´ll find that enough for me, I mean I think I´m not ready for huge flash systems...atleast not yet... :smile:
    ...also waiting my Gitzo g2220...[/Partial QUOTE]

I suspect that you will enjoy the SB 600/Softbox combo--and the tripod obviously. Anxious to see the results you get with them! Please keep us posted.
    Appreciate your generous comments. Just wish I could do more with the lighting, more arts kinds of shots, however the biologist in me (and my obvious lack of talent in the arts area) makes me want to shoot for the best details students can possibly use for identification purposes.

[​IMG]

10. Jerry, these are even better than the first ones.

BTW - you asked about that membrane at the rear end. I will try to find out which body part this is. At the moment, the whole ovipositing procedure is quite enigmatic to me (from the biomechanical point of view).

Cheers

11. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    Thanks, Harry. I also feel these are much better than the first photos. I do now understand that the ovipositor actually coils up in a membrane and, I suppose, this can rupture easily (?) as I have seen wasps with no membrane. I, too, am totally unclear re the ovipositing mechanism. Looks extremely interesting and would love to know more about it.