Couple new shots... (first attempt at "something")

Hey, it's been a little while since my last post because I haven't really been shooting much lately. I was able to attend a free shoot in Brooklyn this past weekend and was able to work with a few different models during the course of the day.

Being my first time shooting an actual model I wasn't really sure what to expect, or even what to do for that matter. I basically "winged it" and here are a few shots I came up with...

First up is Ivy..

144677791-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Here's Patricia - found out during the shoot that she lives about 10 minutes from me... :biggrin:

144671862-L.jpg

Meet Ava... (I think that was her name, and that's what her necklace says)

144522122-L.jpg

Here's two shots of Ebonie...

144522088-L.jpg

144409018-L-2.jpg

And last, but not least - Lita...

144408754-L-2.jpg

Comments always welcome as usual, I'd love to hear what you guys/gals think about these pics. Keep in mind that this is something new to me....

Beautiful ladies, a camera and some lights is a potent combination. These shots are great. You have some skin reflection going on here but for some it enhances the shot. #1 is my favorite.

Great work! Nice progression... you might be our next Stu. I'm still trying to get the funds to buy some lights! Beautiful ladies... Patricia is stunning. Only 10 minutes? I would be trying to set up some additional sessions with her.

Can you tell me a little bit about this "free" shoot in Brooklyn?

Beautiful ladies, a camera and some lights is a potent combination. These shots are great. You have some skin reflection going on here but for some it enhances the shot. #1 is my favorite.

Thanks Gordon!! It's funny, most of these shots were taken with my sb800 - I didn't bring the AB with me, and I'm pretty angry that I didn't. It was my first time shooting with these guys, and didn't want to outshine anyone my first time out. :biggrin: Next time, it's going to be much better!!

I tried to fix some of the reflections, but the SB was a little overpowering at times, and I spent much time dialing up and down to get a decent shot. I've yet to master the SB800 and all of its functions.

Great work! Nice progression... you might be our next Stu. I'm still trying to get the funds to buy some lights! Beautiful ladies... Patricia is stunning. Only 10 minutes? I would be trying to set up some additional sessions with her.

Can you tell me a little bit about this "free" shoot in Brooklyn?

Thank you Anthony. I appreciate the compliments!! The next Stu?? That's a stretch, but I'd love to be at Stuart's level eventually. Patricia is stunning - 18 years old, still in school, and getting ready to move back to the Dominican Republic. We've already talked about shooting again... I actually drove her home after the shoot. She's a very sweet girl.

The shoot in Brooklyn was put together by a guy I met at a Meet & Greet for photographers, models, makeup artists, hair and wardrobe stylists. After speaking with him briefly, he told me about the shoot and invited me to come out. The shoot was at a pool hall in Brooklyn, and we started shooting before they opened up for business, and continued once they opened. It was a pretty big place, and we had basically used the rear section of the room, as well as the stairwell. There were between 10-15 models, 5-6 photographers, a hairstylist and makeup artist. It was basically a TFP/TFCD shoot where nobody pays for using each other, and images are shared between all parties involved in the shoot. I'd definitely do it again. I hope this helps.

Very nice work Keith. I gotta tell ya, you are really good with the SB800. My favs are 2 and 4. Patricia living 10 minutes from your house is a good thing - my guess is that you asked her to work with you again. :wink:

I appreciate that Fred!! I'm getting better, if I could just avoid the skin highlights on some shots!! Having Patricia so close could be good and bad.......good because I can get to her so easily, and bad because nobody else will be able to get a hold of me because I'll be with her... LOL I'd like to have some one-on-one time with her, but we're working on that!!

Hey Keith,
Numbers 2 and 5 get two thumbs up!!! Good work!! I see you in my rear view mirror and you're in the fast lane!:smile:

Thanks for the info Keith. What a great opportunity. Those are the opportunities that likely won't occur in Pueblo, Colorado! :tongue: So, I will have to set something up myself.

Yeah, you are not quite large in Stu's mirror (though objects may be closer than they appear), but you are driving almost as fast. Just impressed with the effort and the quick learning curve.

Thanks for the info Keith. What a great opportunity. Those are the opportunities that likely won't occur in Pueblo, Colorado! :tongue: So, I will have to set something up myself.

Yeah, you are not quite large in Stu's mirror (though objects may be closer than they appear), but you are driving almost as fast. Just impressed with the effort and the quick learning curve.

No problem Anthony! I'm sending you a PM in a few...

C

cuss2much

I'll be happy when all of my pictures are as sharp...

I was going to ask you about your lighting [alienbees or sb800]...
I see you shot with the sb800...
did you have on camera when you shot...? or remote fired..?

one more thing...

how did you find out about the meet and greet...?

I'd love to find somethng like that down here in the md/dc/va area...

Thanks Maurice!! Sharpness is all in the mind!! A little help in photoshop never hurt either. :biggrin:

Lighting was one SB800 on camera, usually bounced but it was a little difficult for some shots because the ceiling was black. The shots in the staircase were easier as the walls were white.

I joined this website a few months ago, and the meet and greet was organized by one of the moderators. At the meet & greet, I met a crew of photographers that shoot together, and they put the free photoshoot together. There are tons of models from the MD/VA/DC area on the site, you shouldn't have any trouble hooking something up.

From some of your previous posts, I see you have a nice selection of people to work with already... :biggrin:

C

cuss2much

Thanks I'm going to check that site out...

I do have a nice list of friends that don't mind me shooting them but I wouldn't mind sitting in on an experienced photgraphers session because all of my shoots are like "lets try this... nah that doesn't work.. lets try this"...
I get a lot of useless/wasted shots..

I'd love to see how experienced photographers find their way thru shoots and get their ideas out...

There's nothing wrong with the way you've been doing things. I don't think anyone can shoot and get a 100% keeper rate! That's one great thing about digital - you can shoot and shoot and shoot some more...if something doesn't work, delete it and shoot it again...

1 & 3 I'm not very fond of, simply because I don't care for a lot of makeup.

2, 4, 5, and 6 I like.

Ebony in #5 is very nice. Beautiful eyes.

Lighting looks good for on-cam speedlight.

Thanks Roy! I'm not really a big fan of makeup either. Ebonie is definitely a cutie. She was actually really cool too. Her boyfriend was there modeling as well, but I stuck to shooting the gals, I just get a better response from them. Can't figure out why though.... :biggrin:

G

Gr8Tr1x

Very nice Keith. The third one could use a litle skin softening on the chest area. To my eye she appears to have a hairy chest (sorry).

The lighting is really nice and I like the gritty attittudes that they exude. Very nice job here man.

Latest threads

Top Bottom