Couple of 200-400 + 1.7tc test shots.

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Richard Peters, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Went to a newly discovered local nature reserve on sunday. Not the greatest weather so thought it would be good to scout it out. Did a few test shoots with the 200-400 combined with the 1.7tc in between it raining...

These were hand held from a hide:

1/500, f8, ISO 2000, 650mm

chick.jpg

%100 crop

chick_crop1.jpg

And same, but sharpened

chick_crop1s.jpg

No usm

chick_crop2.jpg

usm

chick_crop2s.jpg

No usm

chick_crop3.jpg

usm

chick_crop3s.jpg

1/800, f8, ISO 2000, 650mm

wasp.jpg

no usm

wasp_crop1.jpg

usm

wasp_crop1s.jpg

This for me was a worse case scenario for this combo with poor light and hand held at high ISO but I 'think' with more favourable conditions (proper sunlight, lower ISO, decent support) it would pass in an emergency...

2. leifw

leifw

Jul 25, 2007
    Bozeman, MT
    Thanks posting these shots. I'm yet again impressed with how clean the D3 is at ISO 2000. Being able to shoot that high really made the combination possible.

3. Great posts. I am surprised with the great performance with the 1.7TC. For real, the difference between great glass and mediocre glass is its ability to shine in poor lighting conditions, and 200-400 came out with flying colors here. Of course, the D3's ability to handle noise suppression helped. I am biased for the 200-400, and I think the VR is quite effective. You can probably try with slower shutter speeds and see how it works. BTW, kudos to you for shooting handheld, I usually use my tripod as a monopod atleast when using this heavy glass.

4. I am both surprised and astounded that you were able to hand hold the D3 and the AFS 200-400mm f/4 and get some pretty sharp images. I have that combo but can't hand hold I guess I'm that weakling guy that they kick sand at at the beach (forgive me Charles Atlas) :eek:

5. Stan, you're probably not the only one that needs to get the sand out of the hood :biggrin: I have problems getting sharp images from my handheld D200+300/4+1.7TC combo and this weighs probably the same as the 200-400VR.

6. Wonder how much better the 1.4TC would do? I found my 1.7TC produced soft images on my 70-200mm VR and my 300mm.

7. Like I said I was quite pleased with the results, I mean sure they aren't perfect especially when lokoing at shots from the lens with no TC attached but its definitely usable for the times you just have to get that little extra reach.

As for hand holding, I only do it for a couple of shots at a time lol

I think the focus tweaking helps massively when using convertors as before I changed it I was getting poor results.

8. PedroS

PedroS

May 4, 2008
    Portugal
    Great shoots!

From my experience it's hard to get sharp photos with this combo (even if my rifle shooting technique helps :smile:). With a mono or a tripod you could lower ISO and can obtain outstanding results.
    With the TC14 this lens shines!

9. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    nice job, the bee is particularly impressive!!!

10. To Stanjan0 and ALL...

Hi Stan...

It's really nice to finally "see" you... I thought you were probably an old f*rt, but in reality, you're anything butt, er, um...I mean but... :tongue:

Anyhow, this is a nice series of images. I've been thinking of a D3 or D700, but for long telephoto work, I feel it's hard to beat the pixel density of the DX format...and with the D300, I'm good to ISO 1600, which meeds my needs perfectly. The D2Xs is also a FINE body which has kinda' been trashed over the past several months as evidenced by the absolutely ridiculous prices this fine PRO body now brings. I love using this body for telephoto work and the High Speed Crop mode is most definitely a fine feature in that it, too, produces images of some 6.2, or so, megapixels.

So, what about FX? If I were a wide-angle shooter, I'd jump on a D3 or D700 in a NY Minute, but, alas, I am not...usually, anyway. The same holds true if I were a low light shooter, but again, not too often...

So, I guess I'll continue to stumble along with my 200-400 f/4, 300 f/2.8, 300 f/4 and also continue to smile as an "ignorant" person might. But, then, again, I'll also have an extra $3k in my pocket I otherwise wouldn't have and I might even just have "better" images, to boot.

The Long Ranger

11. My thoughts too, I think thats because he wasn't moving where as the chick was on the move so I had to pan along with him.

12. adrianaitken

adrianaitken Guest

Was that at Barnes in London (WWT centre) ? I went there once but it rained permentantly !!

13. lol, no no, this place is near Denham. I've been to Barnes though, its not too far from work. Bit too popular for my liking!