Couple of GBH photos and a "prince" photo

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Jerry Snider, May 11, 2005.

1. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    These are uncropped. Please critique if you have the time.
    My best,
    Jerry Snider

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    The GBH head shot is just about perfect, but I like full body shots better (i.e., the second pic). Like the ribbet too. 8)

3. great shots, agree with frank. The bullfrog is awesome.

4. Greg

Greg

Apr 5, 2005
    Fayetteville, TN
    I like the head shot but the background color is distracting for some reason?

5. Jerry, I think the GBH Head Shot needs some fluffy white clouds. Do you have a few left over from the deer picture :?: :?: :?:

I like the head shot, but I think it looks better if you crop out the bottom, almost up to the end of the feathers that come off the back of the birds head. I find the "pinkish" color at the bottom distracting, and this gets rid of it. What are the particulars on this shot? Lens, distance, etc?

I like the others as well, but if you could have gotten a lower angle I think they would have popped out more from the background.

6. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    Greg and Bill--Distractions

Bill, the GBH headshot was taken with the Tokina 300 and 1.4 extender. It had walked right up to me on a beach in Tarpon Springs, FL and was at the very minimum focus distance--indeed I had to creep backwards a step or two to get the photo. You are correct of course re being lower for a more dramatic effect, however I couldn't have gotten any lower for the bullfrog. Well.... O.K., I COULD have buried myself chin deep in the mudhole I was standing in!--just not dedicated enough, I guess!! Heck, if I was stalking a wily old brown trout I would have been on my belly in a flash :lol: .
    Thanks for the input...appreciate it very much. Lots to learn.

Greg, the background for the GBH was a brightly sunlit shallow inlet and the GBH was standing in VERY dark shadows. Note the fill flash. Thus, the reason for the background. Have a lot to learn under these conditions and always appreciate the input. I didn't place these photos here because they were good :lol: but because I want to go through the usual embarassment :oops: involved in the learning process. Thanks so very much for the input.
    My best,
    Jerry Snider

7. Wonderful images Jerry. That bullfrog shot is really neat but my favorite is #2.

8. Great images. My only contribution would be, from a personal standpoint, that the #2 heron has too much space above his head that's not doing anything, but he had a shadow reflected in the water that might have added something if we could have seen more of it. Just a personal preference. All in all, great images. Cheers, S

9. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    Good ideas! Unfortunately, the 2nd GBH photo was not cropped in any way. Indeed, he was so close that some of the shadow was on the bank. Could have cropped more on the top however. Thanks so much for the input. Always attempting to learn and obviously need all the help I can get!!
    My very best,
    Jerry Snider