Couple of Mac questions

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by mike mac, Sep 26, 2005.

1. I am receiving my new Mac today and am moving for the PC world. A few questions regarding capture
    1. Is my code for Capture for PC valid for Capture for Mac
    2. Any thing in particular I should be aware of when installing Capture for Mac

2. Not sure on #1...

I have been using NC on G5 system for quite a while...no problems installing or updating.....it WILL install the raw plug-in, however, overiding PSCS ACR if you have it...so you must pull that plug-in out for ACR to work correctly if you want to set it up that way....

Good luck !! :smile:

3. Mike,

I believe it will just work.

4. pcjr

pcjr

Sep 19, 2005
    California
    I have installed and been using Capture on Windows and recently (yesterday) decided to check it out on my daughter's new iBook. My PC is old and I wanted to see if I could process photos quicker on the Mac.

The license string worked just fine on the Mac. When I bought Capture, both the Mac and Windows software was on the same CD-ROM, with just one license string.

However, I did have some issues with the online upgrade from 4.3 to 4.3.1. I was letting Capture do the upgrade for me. After the installation and reboot I tried the upgrade. It failed with some sort of error message about not being able to find some file.

I tried a couple things, including uninstalling and reinstalling. What finally worked was manually downloading the upgrade from www.nikonusa.com and then installing it.

Still haven't had a chance to see if it is any quicker on the iBook!

5. One thing you should know... The uninstall option is not available for Mac. It says it does, but I could not remove it from my machine and contacted Nikon Support. They said they were still working on it. Also there are several threads at DPR which discuss removing it and the frustrations experienced by others. It seems to place hidden files in numerous places in your hard drive and just dragging it off does not completely remove it.

On the up side, I have no problems with it on my G5, OS 10.4.1. I have opted to not use it any longer now that Adobe ACR is reading W/B and gives me all the functions I need and more than Capture.

The de-fish is convenient for the 10.5 lens although, I am now looking for something better.

6. Thansk all for your replies I am lookign forward to the new learnign curve.