Couple of new test portraits...

I took these shots like 2 weeks ago with my new AB800 bounced into an umbrella. Out of the 40-50 shots I took of Talib, these were my favorites. Don't pay attention to the posing, I was trying to test the light out more than anything else...

Comments, suggestions and tips on how the lighting could be improved would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for looking.

140636271-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

140636242-L.jpg

140636261-L.jpg

Thanks Brian and Darrell. I actually have a reflector, but I left it at home that day... :biggrin: I used it for some shots on Sunday, but I must have been doing something wrong, because it didn't seem like it was working...

The lighting looks pretty darn good to me.

Have you tried getting the reflector REALLY close to your subject? I have found that it needs to be no more that like 12 inches away. I usually have to crop it out of the frame in PP.

Thanks alot Fred. For these shots, I didn't have the reflector available. I took some shots of Nafeesah over the weekend using the octabox and reflector, but have been asked not to post them... :biggrin: I have the reflector in the bag with my background now so I'll have it with me for next time.

Great shots, great poses, really love the first one but that last one is outstanding - his personality really shines through.

He looks like a guy with a super sense of humour.

OK, I'll be the only grouch, Keith. I don't take studio pictures, but when I see them, I always admire that the subjects are perfectly illuminated, but there are no "signs" of artificial lighting other than catchlights in the eyes. Your samples aren't quite as subtle. The highlights on the subject's forehead, nose, cheekbones and chin clearly say "flash", and the source seems to be head on. Sorry.

Great shots, great poses, really love the first one but that last one is outstanding - his personality really shines through.

He looks like a guy with a super sense of humour.

Thank you Sandi! Talib is a RIOT!! I think he is the definition of FREE SPIRIT!! I call him Mr. Personality!!

I like #1 and #2 best. The angled orientation of the shoulders gives them a very casual, comfortable feeling. The lighting is excellent in all three. Good job.

Thank you Walter. I appreciate the comments. We were just sitting around the house (Talib is my girlfriend's brother), and he was just hammin' it up in front of the camera. I have some other crazy poses but I'll save those for his wedding... LMAO

Real nice... and Fred is giving you good advice, when you use a reflector you have to get it in close. You should be able to see the light reflected onto the subject. Training your eye to see light is very important.

Thanks Woody. I agree with Fred's advice and was able to use the reflector for some shots I took on Sunday but can't post... I will definitely be taking more. Now if I can just find another subject to try all of the things I've picked up in the last few posts!!

OK, I'll be the only grouch, Keith. I don't take studio pictures, but when I see them, I always admire that the subjects are perfectly illuminated, but there are no "signs" of artificial lighting other than catchlights in the eyes. Your samples aren't quite as subtle. The highlights on the subject's forehead, nose, cheekbones and chin clearly say "flash", and the source seems to be head on. Sorry.

Thanks Uncle Frank. I admire your opinion and appreciate you taking the time to explain your feelings about the shots.

These images were taken using an umbrella as opposed to a softbox/octabox. I was going to edit out the hot spots and harsh light spots, but didn't feel it was necessary while testing. I was more anxious to use the AB800 than anything - and just couldn't let the weekend go by without using the light, and the umbrella was the only alternative I had at my disposal.

Nice portraits.

I see the skin tones way off on my monitor.
Very red with a hint of yellow.
Might just be on my side
Have noticed that lately on your portraits

Thanks Gale. That's highly possible, my monitor is not calibrated, and I'm just working off of what my eye remembers. Sometimes it's days (or weeks in this case) before I'm able to edit images, and anything is possible.

I like the shots Keith. Yes, you can see some hot spots on his face but all in all these are pretty good. Moving the light in closer will solve some of that as will using a softbox or octobox. You are in for some fun with your new lights and I appreciate you sharing your images.

Really nice!! I could learn alot from you!!

Sarah

Thank you Sarah. I still have alot to learn!! You could learn much more talking to guys like Woody (Czechman01), Fred (frede) and many others here. I've still got a loooooooooong way to go.

I like the shots Keith. Yes, you can see some hot spots on his face but all in all these are pretty good. Moving the light in closer will solve some of that as will using a softbox or octobox. You are in for some fun with your new lights and I appreciate you sharing your images.

Thanks Gordon!! The shots I took with the softbox were much better, but I'll have to take some more to show you all. So far I've had a ton of fun, but I'm looking forward to many more days, months and years to enjoy learning to use this light and others to follow.

G

Gr8Tr1x

Keith, these are nice. I like the lighting and the processing you have done to them. Excellent 'practice' shots!

If you wanted to elimnate some of the hotter spots, you could dodge them in, or use Selective Color and reduce White on the Black slider. It personally doesn't bother me...I like the mood of it, but as another poster mentioned, he felt it detracted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Keith :

It's progress.

You've learned the tricks of the candid shot over the last year, and now this is another arena to work within. If you apply yourself to this kind of shooting, you'll nail the lighting after a bit longer.

And yet again, you have a great model (although that ladyfriend of yours is perhaps a bit easier on my eyes... :wink: ). All jokes aside, male models like Talib, who have a clear sense of intelligence and humour about them, are not very common. The vacuous, bored, and insipid look of many guys sitting for a shoot simply doesn't cut for me as a viewer. Play with the lighting, tinker some more, and you'll have some amazing shots with this guy.

I don't shoot people worth a darn, possibly because I started with forensic photography, or much more likely, because I've never devoted myself to learning what works. You've got that talent, and I'll look for more studio work from you, Keith.

John P.

Keith, these are nice. I like the lighting and the processing you have done to them. Excellent 'practice' shots!

If you wanted to elimnate some of the hotter spots, you could burn them in, or use Selective Color and reduce White on the Black slider. It personally doesn't bother me...I like the mood of it, but as another poster mentioned, he felt it detracted.

I appreciate the tips on correcting Joshua. Thank you!! I'm not going to mess with these any more, but I'll be shooting some more one of these days, and I'll work out the kinks next time. I understand what folks have said about the hot spots and I noticed them when editing, but as I mentioned these were just test shots, they will only get better with time and lots of practice.

Keith :

It's progress.

You've learned the tricks of the candid shot over the last year, and now this is another arena to work within. If you apply yourself to this kind of shooting, you'll nail the lighting after a bit longer.

And yet again, you have a great model (although that ladyfriend of yours is perhaps a bit easier on my eyes... :wink: ). All jokes aside, male models like Talib, who have a clear sense of intelligence and humour about them, are not very common. The vacuous, bored, and insipid look of many guys sitting for a shoot simply doesn't cut for me as a viewer. Play with the lighting, tinker some more, and you'll have some amazing shots with this guy.

I don't shoot people worth a darn, possibly because I started with forensic photography, or much more likely, because I've never devoted myself to learning what works. You've got that talent, and I'll look for more studio work from you, Keith.

John P.

Thanks John! I appreciated the kind remarks. I'm on this site to share my photos and to learn from anyone who has something to teach me. I'm glad to have finally found something that I enjoy more any other hobby I've ever had. This forum is partially responsible for that, and I'm grateful for the help and guidance that I've received from all of the great men and women here!

Many more pics to come!!!!

Latest threads

Top Bottom