Couple of so so beetles

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Jerry Snider, Sep 22, 2005.

1. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    Couple of pics of beetles. First appears to be a spotted cucumber beetle. The second appears to be a soldier beetle: Pennsylvania Leather Wing beetle.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Very nice Jerry. I like the effect of the flash. I am going to have to try that.
    thanks for sharing
    Dave

3. Really like the first one and neither one of them are so so as your title intimates. Nice colors and exposure.

4. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Definitely not "so-so"!!! I too like the first one! Nice job and thanks for sharing.

5. Jerry do you have more keeper using the flash than without?

6. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    Gilles, it depends upon the conditions under which I am shooting, but the short answer is ABSOLUTELY, YES!! There always seems to be some faint breeze from the wind or movement from the critters, however slight. Factor in harsh light and heavy shade conditions as well, and most of the snapshots I have posted here over the past few months could not have been captured at all w/o flash (by me, at least). Obviously my pics are, at best (and trying to be kind to myself) only mediocre, so I am not implying that using flash gives me great shots, not at all. Its more like getting the pic or not getting the pic, and allows me to shoot pretty much throughout the day when time is available.
    Re the two beetle pics, I find the flash reflection to be a bit harsh due to the hard, shiny wings on both.

7. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    Thanks for the comments Dave, Gordon, Leigh. Always appreciate you folks spending your valuable time to take a peek!

8. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    These may be a tad better--or at least different.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Very nice Jerry! I wish we had such nice Cantharids (leather wing b.) here. I mean we have dozens of species but hardly one with such nice colors.

Cheers

10. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    Thanks for the comments, Harry. I am not at all familiar with winged beetles and this one was difficult to photograph for some reason. I could never get the eye/head sharp. I would have called it a lightening bug until I looked it up. Hope the i.d. is in the ballpark. I suppose that these are pollen eaters?