Covered Bridges in Vermont

There are more than 100 covered bridges in Vermont and we saw 16 of them on our six days of wandering throughout the state. All of the bridges were on our way to see other sights. Whereas almost all of the bridges we saw years ago in Pennsylvania are painted, only about half of the bridges we saw in Vermont are painted. We also saw for the first time a few bridges that include a portion of the bridge exclusively dedicated for pedestrians and bike riders. We even saw two covered bridges for pedestrians and bike riders that are not part of bridges built for cars. The bridge in Photo #4 includes a portion for pedestrians and bikers just barely shown on the right side of the bridge.

Unfortunately, most of the covered bridges we saw are not nestled among trees with beautiful autumn leaves as we had hoped. That explains why only four covered bridges are displayed here.

EDIT: Photos #2 and #5 were captured by my wife and post-processed by me.

Photo #1 (Bridge built in 1964)
Mike 2020-10-08--0658-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Photo #2
(Bridge built in 1964)
Joellen 2020-10-08--0352-S.jpg

Photo #3
(Bridge built in 1840)
Mike 2020-10-07--0536-S.jpg

Photo #4
(Bridge built in 1969)
Mike 2020-10-06--0374-S.jpg

Photo #5 (unable to determine the name or date of the bridge -- same bridge as Photo #6)
Joellen 2020-10-07--0306-S.jpg

Photo #6
(unable to determine the name or date of the bridge -- same bridge as Photo #5)
Mike 2020-10-07--0600-S.jpg

Last edited:
Real Name
Randy
these are terrific shots Mike and what a great adventure, I wish I could go someday

Thanks also to Bill and Rodney!

#6 seems like a good candidate for mono conversion, maybe with warm toning.

I agree. Most would look good in monochrome with toning but this trip was all about the fall color. I'll post-process at least some of them later today that way and get back to you.

Did you find these with help from an online guide?

We saw close to 20 covered bridges mostly with the help of this: https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1096caAvd-h7Yqol6P2gwHaU5EMw&ll=43.25002073718994,-72.46506118554692&z=10

We stumbled upon the bridge in the first two photos when I saw a scene with horses I wanted to photograph and turned onto a small street to park the car. That bridge was a block away.

We were looking for a bridge we never found when my wife saw the roof of a covered bridge from the highway. Luckily, the next right turn took us immediately to the bridge in the last two photos.

Ironically, two of my four favorite bridges we found completely by accident.

Latest threads

Top Bottom