Covered Bridges in Vermont

Enjoyed these a lot, Mike. All very well done. I am surprised so many are recent. Were they built to replace older ones on the same sites?

In our early marriage years we lived in Newark, DE. We spent many a Saturday, especially in the Fall, seeking out the covered bridges of SE Pennsylvania.

Thanks, Jim!

I am surprised so many are recent. Were they built to replace older ones on the same sites?

It's typical that when a bridge is rebuilt, that information is provided along with the date of the first construction. So, I have to believe the more recently built bridges are in their first version. The information about the Woodstock Middle Bridge having been built in 1969 makes sense because it's near the city center of one of the most popular villages in Vermont. That covered bridge was surely just one more thing that was done to help beef up the local economy by adding a covered bridge that would attract the tourists. Woodstock even built two pedestrian-only covered bridges in the area the tourists visit.

Last edited:
#6 seems like a good candidate for mono conversion, maybe with warm toning.

The following four sepia-toned monochromes were converted from four of the color photos displayed in the first post of the thread.

Photo #7
Mike 2020-10-06--0374BW-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Photo #8
Mike 2020-10-07--0536BW-S.jpg

Photo #9
Mike 2020-10-07--0600BW-S.jpg

Photo #10
Mike 2020-10-08--0658BW-S.jpg

Real Name
Bill Walderman
The following four sepia-toned monochromes were converted from four of the color photos displayed in the first post of the thread.

These are really nice! You picked the right images to convert. Just the right shade of sepia toning, which highlights the wood in these structures. And you brought out the structures against the background of the trees.

I can't say that the color of the trees is a "distraction" in the color versions -- color is really the point of those images. But by eliminating color, these conversions bring out the shapes of the structures, which is the strength of mono.

Last edited:
Real Name
Bill Walderman
I can't say that the color of the trees is a "distraction" in the color versions -- color is really the point of those images. But by eliminating color, these conversions bring out the shapes of the structures, which is the strength of mono.

I agree. I don't have a strong preference for any of the color versions over the monochrome versions or vice versa except that the color versions are nice reminders of the very nice fall foliage we saw; it's nice to have both versions for different reasons.

Latest threads

Top Bottom