Covert Mission Results

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Kevin Scott, Nov 26, 2005.

1. Decided after HarryB's terribly distasteful Eagle posting in my honor that I would go on a covert mission to see if the Eagles are really showing up inside Viera rather than perching in the trees off in the distance.

Was originally planning on just going to Merritt Island but it was nagging me so badly that I detoured and stopped at Viera. As soon as I turned into the Wetlands, I saw something dark on one of the observation decks with white on the top and bottom. "No, it can't be", I said to myself. So I steathily made my way around so I could get the better light on the bird rather than just being backlit. Only a couple of chances before some dummy scared him off.

substantial crop
    [​IMG]

He took off and I followed him around till he finally came back to the same perch. "Another chance!", I thought. A little closer this time. Still cropped but not as badly.
    [​IMG]

and another with less of a crop
    [​IMG]

Then yet another dummy raced in his car which resulted in him taking flight.
    [​IMG]

I tracked him as he flew and watched him land in the "Caracara tree". So, off I go again in the car, driving backwards to get around to where I could effectively shoot. Finally I arrived at the tree and saw not just one, but two eagles perched. Barely cropped...
    [​IMG]

I must've shot about 100 (you know how you get when you're excited you just keep shooting. All are basically the same pose. Oh well, disk space is cheap! :smile: )

Since I seemed to have plenty of time, I was shooting on my tripod taking advantage of a slower shutter speed. Suddenly one took off, which I missed. But then the 2nd one decided to follow suit. Didn't have time to adjust the shutter speed so got somewhat of an interesting effect on the wings.
    [​IMG]

Then I tracked him in "machine gun mode" and got some really sharp ones, albeit with clipped wings, and this one which I was satisfied with.
    [​IMG]

So all in all, I guess it wasn't a bust. Not exactly the results I was hoping for but I have faith in Sunday morning. Just hope the local idiots aren't there walking their dogs again and hooting and hollering.

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Excellent series Kevin. So were these Harry's radio controlled models, or the real thing? :biggrin:

3. Well, as best I could tell, they were the real deal! But I do believe he has some influence as they wouldn't stay put long enough for me to get as close as Harry gets. Ah well, maybe Sunday!

4. bfjr

bfjr Guest

A covert mission and you got the job done !!

the flight shots are great, but the two in the tree get you 3 thumbs up with a snap !! :biggrin: :Shocked: :biggrin:

I am mighty jealous and looking for a bigger rock !

Oh hey I got my TC17 yesterday (thanks to good Cafe deal :smile:) may try it out later today, I won't find any eagles though :frown:

5. atta boy!!!!

6. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Atta way Kevin!!!! Good captures especially the pair in the tree. I caught one on the same observation deck so it looks like thay are attracted to it. Don't those dummies in their cars who drive around oblivious to whats going on arounf them get your goat?

With luck tomorrow you may be able to shoot them with a 500mm.

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Kevin,
    My rock is so big i can't see the images :>))))))

Thh shot in the tree win. Print and hang that is beautiful
    cheers to you. Good covert mission.

8. Great sequence, we have idiots who disturb wildlife here in Europe to, the only way to avoid them is to avoid weekends and major holidays.:mad:

9. This is not fair. I went out all day looking for eagles and the only ones I find are on this great forum. Man you guys are burning me here. Nice job as always Kevin.

10. Thanks guys and gals! These were fun but today was better. Gotta get some pp done so I can post.

11. Nice shots Kevin. The pair in the tree is superb, also love the flight shot.

louie