COVID-19 Leaves a Sad Milestone in the US — 100,000 Lives and Souls Lost to This Cruel Disease

Real Name
Andy
Someone close to me, a triathlete in the prime of his life, with multiple finishes at the full “iron man” distance, has begun diagnosis for elevated heart enzymes indicative of a heart attack (but thankfully no actual heart attack).

He had flu-like symptoms (COVID-19 was suspected at the time, but not diagnosed due to unavailability of testing). That was in February. He recovered and gradually resumed his triathlon training regimen. Last week, curious why his energy levels were so low, with shortness of breath and dizziness even while at rest, he sought medical treatment and learned of the heart enzyme issue. At this point he was promptly administered a COVID-19 antibody test, which showed that his body was indeed still fighting the novel coronavirus and that the elevated heart enzymes are a direct result of his exposure to it.

It is not yet known whether the condition he has will resolve or remain with him long term. His battle against the disease has lasted more than three months and continues. I realize this is truly anecdotal (as a sample size of one) but perhaps it will give pause to anyone who thinks they are strong and healthy enough to presume they are in the majority of the population who can beat this disease.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Something which is really concerning to me now is that apparently a lot of people in the US are casually blowing off the whole COVID-19 thing and just resuming and going about what had been their normal activities in the past, having been released from stay-at-home orders. They’re flocking to beaches, they’re jumping into their RVs or cars or trucks and taking off for long trips somewhere..... WHY?! (Sure, visiting family who are at a distance and whom they haven't seen since March is understandable, or even possibly close friends, but.....) Don’t they realize that maybe while wherever they live has not been a hotspot for the virus that another location might very well be? Don’t they or their family members take into consideration any health issues they might have had in the past, especially potentially life-threatening ones, which could be really problematic and maybe this time even fatal if they are attacked by COVID-19? Don’t they care about risking their own health and lives or the health and lives of other people? With the possibility of some people being asymptomatic and yet still shedding the virus, spreading it, this is not something to be casually dismissed. The virus really is everywhere......

Masks? I am getting the sense that for many, the thinking is: “Agh, who needs a mask? That’s for sissies, they’re uncomfortable, they fog up my glasses, they impede my breathing”.... so, yeah, thinking that they know better than medical authorities, many of these folks don’t bother with one..... Undoubtedly other precautions and behaviors have been tossed by the wayside as well.

Uh, look, folks: this COVID-19 thing has NOT gone away! I have no doubt that some of these people who are now traveling all around the countryside exposing themselves to unknown situations in other locations or who are in their own locale saying “no thanks” to wearing masks while running their usual familiar errands around their area will one day regret that, and more importantly, the unfortunate people who come into contact with them will also wish they’d never been anywhere near them at any time, in any location......

Last edited:
The trouble is you can't fix "Stupidity" & the problem is that a huge amount of people worldwide suffer from it...
Fortunately here in South Australia, our Premier (same as governor in the US), closed all our borders when this first started to happen and we have been virtually free of this virus. Anyone entering the state can only do so if they isolate themselves for 14 days. (by Law) We haven't had any case of the virus for a while now, so we're extremely lucky, and yes, the borders are still closed...

Last edited:
There are 732 known cases of coronavirus in East Sussex out of a local population of 554,590. My UK area

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
In Virginia we have been mandated to wear masks whenever in a public building, on public transportation, in restaurants and stores, etc., etc., and while many people here, around the state and around the country are dutifully doing this, there sadly are those who are thumbing their bare noses at the idea, curling their un-masked lips. In the southern and more rural areas of the state, COVID-19 has not been as pervasive and the governor has already put them into Phase Two of emerging from the overall restrictions imposed at the onset of the pandemic. Masks are required for everyone in the state, though, regardless of which phase we're in. In Northern Virginia we are still in Phase One and may be for a while longer yet, as the numbers aren't going down here -- people are still falling ill, being hospitalized, and dying.

Last edited:
The major grocery store chain in Texas (HEB) has now made masks optional. I've noticed only 1 or 2 % going without masks in those stores so far.
The huge Covid outbreak due from the last week of close contact in most big cities will be a nasty lesson (if it occurs). We will soon know.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom