COVID-19 Leaves a Sad Milestone in the US — 100,000 Lives and Souls Lost to This Cruel Disease

Real Name
Andy
Someone close to me, a triathlete in the prime of his life, with multiple finishes at the full “iron man” distance, has begun diagnosis for elevated heart enzymes indicative of a heart attack (but thankfully no actual heart attack).

He had flu-like symptoms (COVID-19 was suspected at the time, but not diagnosed due to unavailability of testing). That was in February. He recovered and gradually resumed his triathlon training regimen. Last week, curious why his energy levels were so low, with shortness of breath and dizziness even while at rest, he sought medical treatment and learned of the heart enzyme issue. At this point he was promptly administered a COVID-19 antibody test, which showed that his body was indeed still fighting the novel coronavirus and that the elevated heart enzymes are a direct result of his exposure to it.

It is not yet known whether the condition he has will resolve or remain with him long term. His battle against the disease has lasted more than three months and continues. I realize this is truly anecdotal (as a sample size of one) but perhaps it will give pause to anyone who thinks they are strong and healthy enough to presume they are in the majority of the population who can beat this disease.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Something which is really concerning to me now is that apparently a lot of people in the US are casually blowing off the whole COVID-19 thing and just resuming and going about what had been their normal activities in the past, having been released from stay-at-home orders. They’re flocking to beaches, they’re jumping into their RVs or cars or trucks and taking off for long trips somewhere..... WHY?! (Sure, visiting family who are at a distance and whom they haven't seen since March is understandable, or even possibly close friends, but.....) Don’t they realize that maybe while wherever they live has not been a hotspot for the virus that another location might very well be? Don’t they or their family members take into consideration any health issues they might have had in the past, especially potentially life-threatening ones, which could be really problematic and maybe this time even fatal if they are attacked by COVID-19? Don’t they care about risking their own health and lives or the health and lives of other people? With the possibility of some people being asymptomatic and yet still shedding the virus, spreading it, this is not something to be casually dismissed. The virus really is everywhere......

Masks? I am getting the sense that for many, the thinking is: “Agh, who needs a mask? That’s for sissies, they’re uncomfortable, they fog up my glasses, they impede my breathing”.... so, yeah, thinking that they know better than medical authorities, many of these folks don’t bother with one..... Undoubtedly other precautions and behaviors have been tossed by the wayside as well.

Uh, look, folks: this COVID-19 thing has NOT gone away! I have no doubt that some of these people who are now traveling all around the countryside exposing themselves to unknown situations in other locations or who are in their own locale saying “no thanks” to wearing masks while running their usual familiar errands around their area will one day regret that, and more importantly, the unfortunate people who come into contact with them will also wish they’d never been anywhere near them at any time, in any location......

Last edited:
The trouble is you can't fix "Stupidity" & the problem is that a huge amount of people worldwide suffer from it...
Fortunately here in South Australia, our Premier (same as governor in the US), closed all our borders when this first started to happen and we have been virtually free of this virus. Anyone entering the state can only do so if they isolate themselves for 14 days. (by Law) We haven't had any case of the virus for a while now, so we're extremely lucky, and yes, the borders are still closed...

Last edited:
In Virginia we have been mandated to wear masks whenever in a public building, on public transportation, in restaurants and stores, etc., etc., and while many people here, around the state and around the country are dutifully doing this, there sadly are those who are thumbing their bare noses at the idea, curling their un-masked lips. In the southern and more rural areas of the state, COVID-19 has not been as pervasive and the governor has already put them into Phase Two of emerging from the overall restrictions imposed at the onset of the pandemic. Masks are required for everyone in the state, though, regardless of which phase we're in. In Northern Virginia we are still in Phase One and may be for a while longer yet, as the numbers aren't going down here -- people are still falling ill, being hospitalized, and dying.

Last edited:
The major grocery store chain in Texas (HEB) has now made masks optional. I've noticed only 1 or 2 % going without masks in those stores so far.
The huge Covid outbreak due from the last week of close contact in most big cities will be a nasty lesson (if it occurs). We will soon know.

Real Name
Chris
The huge Covid outbreak due from the last week of close contact in most big cities will be a nasty lesson (if it occurs). We will soon know.
And now we know. 60,000 new cases a day, so it's 3 million and growing exponentially in some places. Almost 140,000 dead, so far and it is showing no sign of abating.

Too bad that nasty lesson hasn't been learned.

It's so sad and so infuriating, too, as by not staying home, by deliberately not wearing masks, by running all over the place just because they want to "get back to normal," unfortunately so many people have endangered and infected themselves and others. "Normal" as we used to know it, isn't happening any more and probably can't and never will.

Someone I know always takes an annual vacation at a popular beach in the MidAtlantic states. I had thought that perhaps this year the family would stay at home, especially since there are reports that that particular beach is rapidly becoming another hot spot, but nooooo -- the whole family (teens, young adults, middle-aged adults and grandparents) is doing their usual beach trip, blithely ignoring the pandemic and the possibilities of infection. I am just hoping that no one in the family, including the grandparents, who are around my age, becomes ill.

But let's not also ignore the good news! The CDC no longer considers it a pandemic, in fact, it states that levels are not even currently at epidemic levels anymore. Also, latest studies show the mortality rate to be 1% or less, not the horrible 3%+ that we had feared early on! As well, cases still continue, but deaths are generally going down. Here's a toast to human endurance! :) We can overcome! Masks and safety to all!

The CDC no longer considers it a pandemic, in fact, it states that levels are not even currently at epidemic levels anymore.
Please provide a source indicating that. I request it because the CDC website, which was updated July 8, calls it a pandemic.
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/global-covid-19/index.html

There is an interesting economic detail regarding whether it is considered an epidemic or worse: Trip cancellation insurance generally excludes illness caused by an epidemic. If someone gets sick from COVID, has to cancel a trip, and if COVID isn't an epidemic or worse, in theory the insurance company has to honor claims.

I live in Virginia and I am upset with this governor. He is a hippocrit and doesn't practice what he preaches. I can't wear a face mask for more than one reason so I need to see if a doctor's note will work. I can't breath with it on and I have panic attacks from it. Not to go into a lot of detail but when I was 15 years old I was kidnapped and the perpetrator put a paper bag over my face and I couldn't breath so I will not put anything on my face.
I’m sympathetic to your situation. The problem you face is that face masks do reportedly help prevent the spread of Covid19. With that in mind, I can only suggest that you purchase some breathable face masks and try to wear one for a bit more each day to see if you can possibly get used to it. Otherwise, you are likely to face a difficult problem if you try to go into an indoor area where face masks are required. Good luck. I wish you the best with resolving this dilemma.

Real Name
Paul
Please provide a source indicating that. I request it because the CDC website, which was updated July 8, calls it a pandemic.
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/global-covid-19/index.html

There is an interesting economic detail regarding whether it is considered an epidemic or worse: Trip cancellation insurance generally excludes illness caused by an epidemic. If someone gets sick from COVID, has to cancel a trip, and if COVID isn't an epidemic or worse, in theory the insurance company has to honor claims.
Go here and scroll down to Severe Disease and read under the Mortality section: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/covid-data/covidview/index.html

". .but will likely change as more death certificates are processed, particularly for recent weeks."
Yeah, I got that, but the point is that it is currently less than epidemic levels, which is less than pandemic levels, so that's quite an improvement. Even if it were to read epidemic levels again, while not great, it's better than pandemic.

Thanks for the information, Sean. The more I learn about the CDC, the less respect I have for the organization at least insofar as their communications with the public are concerned. Consider the following statements on the same web page you provided, which was updated last on July 10:
  • For the week ending July 4, COVID-19 "is currently at the epidemic threshold..."
  • Percentage of deaths "is currently below the epidemic threshold..."
  • "Hospitalization rates are cumulative and will increase as the COVID-19 pandemic continues."

Thanks for the information, Sean. The more I learn about the CDC, the less respect I have for the organization at least insofar as their communications with the public are concerned. Consider the following statements on the same web page you provided, which was updated last on July 10:
  • For the week ending July 4, COVID-19 "is currently at the epidemic threshold..."
  • Percentage of deaths "is currently below the epidemic threshold..."
  • "Hospitalization rates are cumulative and will increase as the COVID-19 pandemic continues."
Yeah, I'm also not sure about many of the so-called experts... seems there are so many on both "sides of the fence." I was scrolling that page for totally different information, and the blurb I posted about caught my attention. I was just trying to post some more positive information instead of all the doom and gloom that currently surrounds the entire situation. I'm fully aware not all is well yet, we're a long way from there, but in my view, it doesn't seem so dire as it did in March, April, May, even early June. :)

I'd have to agree with those assessments—CDC has become politicized, polarized, and divided. I certainly appreciate any good news, or any optimistic perspectives, but maybe we are slightly better equipped (except for IC/isolation capacity). I'm willing to stay cautious and safe—something that is a lot easier for us retired and healthy folks in a small town.

I'm sure all the people who have lost loved ones to COVID-19 or have become seriously ill and are still ill with it aren't particularly cheered by the "improvement" or the alteration in terminology..... Unfortunately the way too many idiots are acting, which is causing more spread of the virus, isn't helping matters at all. I saw where the governor of California is shutting down all indoor businesses/activities/facilities, etc., again. So, Shaun, your attempt at positivity and optimism may be a bit misplaced....

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom