Covid-19 New Zealand blog

We're a pretty isolated country but airports link everyone together, including their diseases.
A week ago we had 9 cases, today we're at about 52, for a country of around 5 million.
A few hours ago doctors urged the government to go into full lockdown so we don't
end up like Italy. Today I went and did some "panic buying" including a couple of large bags
of rice and flour, just before the news article was released. I also expressed concern to two supermarkets
who were wiping the handles of shopping carts, while leaving these things up for everyone to push through
with their legs. Maybe if the shops you go to have them it may be worth mentioning to them that you don't
feel comfortable walking through them. One assistant said to me "Don't worry, we sanitise them every two hours"
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This reminds me that I haven't seen turnstyles in a long time. Am I right that the turnstyles at the grocery store are to prevent people from taking the shopping carts beyond those points and/or to regulate the direction people enter and exit?

While I personally wouldn't be bothered by them insofar as the coronavirus is concerned any more than all the millions of other things we touch, if the grocery store feels they should sanitize them, I agree that they should instead remove them.

This reminds me that I haven't seen turnstyles in a long time. Am I right that the turnstyles at the grocery store are to prevent people from taking the shopping carts beyond those points and/or to regulate the direction people enter and exit?
These don't turn, they are arms that only allow movement in one direction "people/cart diodes" :)

The government issued an official announcement at 1:30 pm today. The number of cases increased by 36 to 102 so we're now at level 3 for 48 hours to transition to level 4 for 4 weeks. Stuck at home for a month? I have water balloons to shoot, 140 packs of smoke bombs, 3 kg of Potassium nitrate .....

We're also looking to shut down here in Victoria at some stage over the next few days. Hopefully, they still allow us to go outside providing we don't have close contact with others. Otherwise, I'll miss my trips to the bush for native orchids and fungi. :(

I'm not sure what I'll do if we're forced to stay at home.

This morning I was telling the guys not to go spending money on anything because we will most likely be needing it when we go into lockdown. The manager came along and told everyone not to listen to "Mr Doomsday" because everything is going to carry on as normal. I told him that even though some think it might happen within a week I'd be surprised if we weren't sent home before the end of the day. He told me "We have to stop talking about lockdown and just HOPE things get better". I asked if hope was going to prevent the spread of the virus. Then at 13:30 we got the official announcement. At 3pm senior management went into the boardroom for a meeting then came downstairs and said "Business as usual tomorrow". They just don't seem to be getting it - no work coming in, a dozen workers standing around talking to each other all day when they need to be preparing for lockdown. The manager didn't make eye contact with me when he walked past.

Real Name
Philip Armitage
are people panic buying toilet paper? UPS dropped of a box of it here today, it’s going into the safe as soon as I can make some room.
Not where I am, pretty easy to get. As Desmond said the country goes into full lockdown tomorrow for at least 4 weeks. So everyone with non-essential work has to stay at home - you can go for walks etc as long as you keep social distancing. I have bought up some gardening supplies. Also some vermiculite, peat moss and cement - will try my hand at making tufa pots

My last job today was shooting some rural land - and the last shot I took, these guys were saying, see you on the other side. Covid-19 doesn't affect us

Day 1, went for a walk.

covid1walk.jpg

In the evening a couple who bought a G6 off me a day before lockdown mention collecting the camera from me on their podcast. It's a bit long but check out 2:40.

Hang in there. Hope it will be over soon.
We have another 78 cases today, up to 283 which is a lot for a small country like ours. But we are a tourist destination so it started with visitors who had been to Italy.
We're on 4 weeks lockdown "for now" but I imagine that will end up being extended to be safe.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom