Covid-19 vaccination - anyone scheduled yet?

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
It seems like in areas that are an hour or more away from populated areas the distribution is going much, much slower. Distance and shortage of vaccines seem to be the problem, since facilities can handle far more people that they have vaccine for.

Our different experiences with scheduling the vaccine reminds me of the old parable about the blind men and the elephant.
We each have different local experiences.
Hopefully we can get through this first step in pandemic control quickly, but we need to understand no one really knows what happens next.
Stay safe, stay well.
gary

I fall just short of the 65+ group (turn 65 in mid-June) so it is likely that I will need to wait until March or April. However, my employer is deemed ‘essential’ as we produce PCBA products for our customers that go into both military and medical devices (including ventilators), so perhaps I will be in the February group? No idea at this point. Following this thread in case one of the side effects is anti-photographer :D

Just saw this thread. Today in NH is the first day for 1B sign ups. We called for my mom (94), on the 211 number and started the registration process - she gets an email and has to setup an appointment.

My wife, who is under 65, but has other medical conditions that put her more at risk, automatically received an email this morning from the hospital that our primary care is associated with (and then later, another hospital that we have used some time). I guess they are reviewing patients that are not in the 1B bucket, but have conditions, and automatically contacting them. My wife went on-line and registered, and will be getting her first shot later today!
So my wife is all set. My mom, didn't get her email until today. By the time we scheduled an appointment, the earliest is Feb. 24th. I guess within the first ten hours, 150,000 people registered.

At 94, at least she's in line.

So my wife is all set. My mom, didn't get her email until today. By the time we scheduled an appointment, the earliest is Feb. 24th. I guess within the first ten hours, 150,000 people registered.

At 94, at least she's in line.
At that age, she really should get top priority. In our district, they just lumped everyone over 75 and went down the list alphabetically for that group. They haven't gotten to under 75 for the general public yet.

At that age, she really should get top priority. In our district, they just lumped everyone over 75 and went down the list alphabetically for that group. They haven't gotten to under 75 for the general public yet.
Yeah, with the change dropping from 75 to 65, the group is much larger and people are (expectedly) flooding the system. They've been doing a pretty good job keeping up and trying to prioritize, all things considered.

Living with us, at home, my mom at least is not in a vulnerable situation, like those in nursing homes, where most of the outbreaks have been. It just puts a bit of pressure on us to be cautious w.r.t. exposure.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Yeah, with the change dropping from 75 to 65, the group is much larger and people are (expectedly) flooding the system. They've been doing a pretty good job keeping up and trying to prioritize, all things considered.

Living with us, at home, my mom at least is not in a vulnerable situation, like those in nursing homes, where most of the outbreaks have been. It just puts a bit of pressure on us to be cautious w.r.t. exposure.
My mom is 90+ living alone at home in California. So far, no indication that she is even on a list somewhere in the bureaucracy. She is still going to Walmart, drug store, etc. And she doesn't have enough energy to try to get attention of health officials.

My mom is 90+ living alone at home in California. So far, no indication that she is even on a list somewhere in the bureaucracy. She is still going to Walmart, drug store, etc. And she doesn't have enough energy to try to get attention of health officials.
:)

My mom was living alone (~700 miles away) in one of the snowiest areas of the country, until about five years ago, when we coerced her to move in with us. We are so glad we did (and she agreed), as we can help her better take care of herself. The stress level is much less for all of us now.

Personally I don't think they should have even opened it to people under 75 yet until they got the majority of the 75-and-older crowd safely vaccinated and finished up......IMHO they should've stuck to the original groupings. That said, I suppose there are some communities in which there really are not a lot of older people residing anyway, and certainly rather than allowing the vaccine to sit unused on the shelves or expire, definitely better to give to the next age cohort!

I suspect that now that we have a new national administration in office that some things will be reorganized and run more smoothly in the future, in contrast to the somewhat scattershot, disorganized approach earlier.

And, yes, that makes sense to me to allow the 1c group of people over 65 to register now but to not be offered an opportunity to schedule their vaccination until more of the current 1b people (75 and up, essential personnel
and others) have received their first doses.

Depends where you are in Co
Good for you & your wife, Doug. Perhaps because CO Springs has good access via its airport, etc.? As J-L mentioned, up in Crested Butte and down here in GJ, we're still awaiting the promised doses. The local authorities are doing their best. Looking forward to being able to join in to Colorado's Phase 1B.
Hope you guys get the needed doses soon. This is one of the biggest logistical tasks we've ever attempted as a nation. Now that there is some central planning being applied I am hoping things get better soon.

JLH

Well, after spending many hours and making multiple daily checks we finally got an appointment for our first shot this coming Thursday, Jan. 28. Here in Louisville where I live its been difficult to schedule anything. We have chased down every lead, followed every link provided on the local news, signed up at every place one could including me through the VA. As it worked out my wife got a "tip" from a gal pal and we acted very quickly and locked down a spot. It would have been nice to find a closer location but they book up in minutes due to the population density.

I don't want to comment on the "politics" of this as I think its pointless and gets over blown. The truth of the matter is that the world is dealing with a major medical issue. Some of you recall polio when you were young. Its way too easy to point fingers and blame someone. It is frustrating but understandable that there will be hiccups along the way. I know we had gotten very discouraged. But, in the end what made the difference was our circle of good friends who look out for each other and are supportive. Word of mouth still works and there is great value in having a circle of friends. The drug makers have been pumping out a million doses a week and that is actually quite amazing considering how rapidly this has all evolved. Still, even at a million doses a week there are a LOT of people out there and its going to take some time. I am sure as time passes they will be able to produce even more doses and we will iron the kinks out of the distribution network.

I got a text from MD Anderson today. I am scheduled for Saturday to get my first dose. I checked with my oncologist, he confirmed the approval. I am not sure which vaccine I will get.

Don't bet on it.
There is still a lot of apparent disorganization at local levels. My wife, also was diagnosed with and treated for cancer last year. Hers was caught early enough where it had not metastasized. She is over 65, and is having trouble getting on a list even though she is in a high risk category.

I have just finished reading an article on The Washington Post which showed me how naive I've been. I am in the DC/MD/VA area, and yet I had not realized how much of a mess has actually been going on until I read the article, which complained about people who live in one county being able to register for and receive vaccine injections in another county, people hopping from site to site all over the internet in search of websites upon which to register and hopefully maybe get an opportunity to actually schedule an appointment, etc., etc. IMHO it sure didn't help matters any when suddenly those who are 65+ were told they, too, could now register for and receive the vaccine. WTH???? All of a sudden a whole lot more people have been added to the mix. Not sure why that was implemented when already there was enough pressure to get the vaccine into the arms of those originally included in the 1b phase in the first place, and there are certainly plenty of us!

I simply waited until I saw news that my county health department was going to open up phase 1b, which includes people in my age cohort of 75+, and on the day the registration became available, I simply got online and took care of that, with the result being that a couple of days later I was notified that yes, I was eligible and approved and provided with the link to the scheduling web page. Did that and on the appropriate day went over there to the location and got my first dose. I do realize how fortunate I actually am. With news of no stockpile actually there that had been assumed was in place, significantly having an impact on what is available right now and will be over the next little while for distribution, that was concerning, but from what I've learned, nonetheless there is reassurance for those of us who have gotten our first dose that we will be able to get that second one when our appropriate time comes.

It actually never occurred to me to check with other places such as the pharmacy in my local grocery store because I knew that pharmacy personnel from chains such as Walgreens and CVS were dealing with handling inoculations for residents in local nursing homes, assisted-living facilities, etc., and so I ruled out local pharmacies altogether even though of course in the past they have handled administrations of the flu vaccine each year. I figured that the hospitals were all going to be busy innoculating their own personnel. I also guessed that private and group physician practices and even walk-in clinics would be low on the totem pole as far as receiving any vaccine to administer to anyone, so didn't bother checking any of those.

I am hoping for everyone's sake that with a new federal administration now in place that some things will be corrected and straightened out and organization and distribution of the COVID-19 vaccines will begin to move more smoothly and expeditiously so that the goal of vaccinating as many people as possible in the US population can be achieved in good time.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom