Covid-19 vaccination - anyone scheduled yet?

Glad to hear of everyone getting their shots. We'll have this thing licked soon.

I read a column by a distinguished medical professor a couple of days ago saying he expects herd immunity by April. This is based on the ongoing vaccination campaign and the rate of infection, which, as bad as it is, does produce more immune people. And as we heard yesterday, the actual rate of asymptomatic or mild infection has been much higher than originally thought, which also adds to herd immunity.
Our numbers and hospitalizations are down significantly here. I have two friends who work in the covid unit at one of the local hospitals. I asked them what they thought was contributing to the lower numbers and they felt it was herd immunity. I know so many people who only had one person in their family tested for covid but the entire family was sick. I think the numbers of people who have had it are much, much higher than the official count.

Real Name
Ken St John
Well, I still keep checking all of the available resources and no appointments. I did get a notice that the Madigan Army Med Center will vaccinate retirees who do not use their facility for Primary Care (me!), but no appointments yet.

Ken

We keep hearing very different information about that, depending on when we hear it.

This is the new report I was referring to:

"The United States may have experienced more than 6.4 million cases of COVID-19 by April 18, 2020, according to a probability analysis conducted by UC Berkeley School of Public Health researchers and published in Nature Communications. That is nine times more than the number of confirmed cases in the same period, which was 721,245."

Reference: https://publichealth.berkeley.edu/n...19-cases-may-be-substantially-underestimated/

Our numbers and hospitalizations are down significantly here. I have two friends who work in the covid unit at one of the local hospitals. I asked them what they thought was contributing to the lower numbers and they felt it was herd immunity. I know so many people who only had one person in their family tested for covid but the entire family was sick. I think the numbers of people who have had it are much, much higher than the official count.
Our local paper listed the % of full room capacity for the major hospitals in the area. The two in our city are at 70% and 73% of capacity. I don't know any baseline figures so I don't know if that is an improvement.

Glad to hear of everyone getting their shots. We'll have this thing licked soon.

I read a column by a distinguished medical professor a couple of days ago saying he expects herd immunity by April. This is based on the ongoing vaccination campaign and the rate of infection, which, as bad as it is, does produce more immune people. And as we heard yesterday, the actual rate of asymptomatic or mild infection has been much higher than originally thought, which also adds to herd immunity.

I dunno about April. End of April is in two months.
We are near the end of Feb, and the general public in Calif under 65 are still not able to sign up for the vaccination. This past Monday (Feb 22) Calif opened for teachers, but trying to find a slot is a whole different matter.
I would be happy with end of summer (6 months).

And we still have to deal with getting the kids (under 16) vaccinated. But the safety trials for under 16 have not been completed.

I want to drive to Florida 2 days after my shot.
Immunity is not complete until about 2weeks after the 2nd shot.
Just be careful, our numbers down here are still nuts- and people here are just stupid.
"It's too hot to wear a mask"
Good friend in the icu as we speak. Not doing well, but not on a ventilator. Keep fingers crossed.
gary

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
I received the Pfizer 2-dose. Got the first one three weeks ago and the second dose yesterday. I had a sore arm for a few days after the first dose, but nothing after the second one, and no side effects whatsoever from either shot. No headache, muscle aches, low grade fever, chills...nothing. In fact, the shot itself didn't even hurt. :)

I received the Pfizer 2-dose. Got the first one three weeks ago and the second dose yesterday. I had a sore arm for a few days after the first dose, but nothing after the second one, and no side effects whatsoever from either shot. No headache, muscle aches, low grade fever, chills...nothing. In fact, the shot itself didn't even hurt. :)

Lucky you!

McQ

Just your average, everyday moderator.
Real Name
Glenn

The vaccine knows better than to mess with you!
;)

McQ

Just your average, everyday moderator.
Real Name
Glenn
I am now scheduled to get the first injection this Sunday morning. I was happy to finally get in the queue. My job entails going into hospitals and oncology offices almost daily to do in-services with staff and nurses, and sometimes with patients, so it's been eleven months since I've been able to do that. I'll be glad when the entire country has been vaccinated so I can really get back to work the way I'm accustomed to.

I am now scheduled to get the first injection this Sunday morning. I was happy to finally get in the queue. My job entails going into hospitals and oncology offices almost daily to do in-services with staff and nurses, and sometimes with patients, so it's been eleven months since I've been able to do that. I'll be glad when the entire country has been vaccinated so I can really get back to work the way I'm accustomed to.

I know you will be relived to feel some protection Glenn.

• Appreciate
Reactions: McQ
"Pfizer and BioNTech’s Covid-19 vaccine performed as well in the real world as it did in the clinical trial

I actually don't understand that conclusion or the conclusion in the interview Phil provided. In the trial, only 0.8% of the group that received the placebo became infected and only 0.04% of the group that received the vaccination became infected. That's more than 99% in both groups that did not become infected. Yet only 90% of the non-controlled, much larger group that was studied in Israel did not become infected. How are the results of the two studies being considered about the same, not that I'm complaining about 90% effectiveness at preventing infection and 100% preventing hospitalization and death?

What am I missing (other than a glass of wine)?

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom