Covid-19 vaccination - anyone scheduled yet?

Real Name
Phil
Very happy to have my second jab BioNTech today.
IMG_0981.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Ken St John
Update - my wife's reaction to shot #2 resolved itself over the weekend. But for two days she was feverish, achy, and tired. Now? Back to normal with a little discomfort at the injection site itself. I continue to be unaffected.

I just read about the CDC's convoluted "guidance" about what comes next for vaccinated folks and restrictions such as masks. Still doesn't provide firm, science based, answers ... just a lot of "an abundance of caution" concerning coverage with variants so stay masked up. You know, just like we do for the flu and the common cold ...

I just wish they'd be honest ... there's clearly no clear scientific basis for the masks and restrictions, but if they turn "us" loose, the unvaccinated would drop their guard as well and we'd have real problems again.

Ken

Update - my wife's reaction to shot #2 resolved itself over the weekend. But for two days she was feverish, achy, and tired. Now? Back to normal with a little discomfort at the injection site itself. I continue to be unaffected.

I just read about the CDC's convoluted "guidance" about what comes next for vaccinated folks and restrictions such as masks. Still doesn't provide firm, science based, answers ... just a lot of "an abundance of caution" concerning coverage with variants so stay masked up. You know, just like we do for the flu and the common cold ...

I just wish they'd be honest ... there's clearly no clear scientific basis for the masks and restrictions, but if they turn "us" loose, the unvaccinated would drop their guard as well and we'd have real problems again.

Ken
I don't see any evidence that they are being dishonest!

Still doesn't provide firm, science based, answers ... just a lot of "an abundance of caution"

None of the vaccines being administered in America have been approved for anything other than use on an emergency basis. That's because the evidence is lacking about whether any of them are safe enough to be approved on a permanent basis. Using an abundance of caution in that situation seems reasonable to me and certainly doesn't seem to be an indication of dishonesty.

Last edited:
I don’t know if I will be getting any of the vaccines anytime soon. I just got over having COVID, and I’m not sure of the effects of getting the vaccine after already having the virus.

I was fortunate, while I fought a fever for nearly 2 weeks, I didn’t have any other symptoms other than muscle aches and a slight headache at times. Now, it’s just a matter of getting my strength back.
My daughter got the pfizer vaccine about two weeks after having covid. She got pretty sick with a fever, muscle aches, and headache for about three days after.

My daughter got the pfizer vaccine about two weeks after having covid. She got pretty sick with a fever, muscle aches, and headache for about three days after.

Our daughter had Covid-19 over a year ago, in March, 2020. She was vaccinated a few weeks ago, because she teaches part-time, and had a pretty significant reaction to the shot.

Our daughter had Covid-19 over a year ago, in March, 2020. She was vaccinated a few weeks ago, because she teaches part-time, and had a pretty significant reaction to the shot.
Our daughter in Boise had Covid back in May '20 (she works with young school kids), but had a mild reaction to her Pfizer shot last week. Got a migrane but didn't think it was related, as she gets them more often than she would like to.

Real Name
Dan
My wife and I had covid early last November and according to testing our blood donation a couple of weeks ago we still have antibodies. I'm perfectly comfortable with the natural antibodies. But, flying in the face of science the powers that be seem to think we need to get stuck regardless. Plus it is looking more and more like some sort of vaccination "passport" is going to be needed for travel. And I'm not worried about the vaccine itself at this point. So if it's going to make life easier and/or make others more comfortable why not? It's pretty easy now in Alaska. Supply appears to be exceeding demand. Many places now have walk-in clinics. Early yesterday I signed up for an appointment for later the same day. When I got there for a mid morning appointment they had 8 or 10 stations set up in a gymnasium and only 3 or 4 of them were busy. Took less than 5 minutes to sign in and get the shot and then the 15 minute wait to make sure I didn't keel over. While waiting the 15 minutes they signed me up for the second dose. Only noticeable effect is that I'm slightly sore at the injection site this morning.

On the way home from being vaccinated I stopped by to vote in our local mayoral election. That took 90 minutes. Go figure...

...I just read about the CDC's convoluted "guidance" about what comes next for vaccinated folks and restrictions such as masks. Still doesn't provide firm, science based, answers ... just a lot of "an abundance of caution" concerning coverage with variants so stay masked up. You know, just like we do for the flu and the common cold ...

It's not as simple as what is scientifically sound. I suspect a lot of it is a matter of how to manage/enforce the situation. If they say vaccinated people no longer need masks then what. Someone stands at the entrance to the grocery store asking to see you vaccination card? It starts raising all sorts of issues. When this whole thing started HIPPA pretty much got thrown out the window. But as some point people are going to remember like "hey, you can't ask me that!". I hate that government tends to legislate to manage society based on the least common denominator. But having managed reasonably large organizations myself I understand why it's done. I don't agree with it but I understand how it gets there.
And there is also the issue of the variants of the original Covid, for example,
No doubt about the variants. But at some point we're going to have to accept the new normal that we have to live with going forward.

But at some point we're going to have to accept the new normal that we have to live with going forward.
I agree. But the new normal will include masks in some situations, prudence or caution when in public, and so forth. Just like the other changes in public hygiene that have flowed from other mass outbreaks—salmonella and other food borne illness, cholera, typhoid, etc., etc.
As you sagely note, "So if it's going to make life easier and/or make others more comfortable why not?"

Real Name
Dan
I agree. But the new normal will include masks in some situations, prudence or caution when in public, and so forth. Just like the other changes in public hygiene that have flowed from other mass outbreaks—salmonella and other food borne illness, cholera, typhoid, etc., etc.
As you sagely note, "So if it's going to make life easier and/or make others more comfortable why not?"
Comforting others has its practical limits. This is probably where we agree to disagree and move on. If it was a bit later in the day I'd suggest we have a glass of vino and fogetaboudit.

Real Name
Ken
No doubt about the variants. But at some point we're going to have to accept the new normal that we have to live with going forward.
I do not disagree that we will most likely have to accept things like variants, but my hope was that this would occur when the numbers are significantly lower than they are now.

--Ken

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom