Covid-19 vaccination - anyone scheduled yet?

Wife and I both recently completed our second shot of Moderna. Wife had zero after effects from either the first or second. I was not as fortunate because the second shot brought me fever, chills, within a few hours and a headache that lasted a couple days. Good to get the Vaccinations out of the way so we can make our Summer Travel plans.

Wife and I both had both shots, but we are still wearing masks (N95/KN95) outside the house.
At my age, I figure the mask is a small price to pay, for the extra protection it provides.

The kids are still not vaccinated, and I'm at the local high school 3 or 4 days a week, shooting sports. So I have LOTS of potential exposure.

And then the question of will there be more covid spikes 1) as things loosen up and there are more gatherings and 2) winter hits and everybody is indoors. I don't know.

So, I bought a bunch of masks, figuring that we will need them at least till the fall.
The more the mask is used, the more clogged it gets, from particles (dust and pollen) in the air, and harder to breath through. And based on my bad allergy, there is a LOT of pollen in the air here, so I expect the masks to get clogged faster. In fact I wear the mask outside the house, as protection against allergy pollen. The clogged masks are noticeably harder to breath through, and uncomfortable to use. So I bought enough masks, to not have to use clogged masks.

"Normal" is still a long ways off.
But with the vaccine, at least we are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. Just got to get MORE people vaccinated.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Wife and I both had both shots, but we are still wearing masks (N95/KN95) outside the house.
At my age, I figure the mask is a small price to pay, for the extra protection it provides.

The kids are still not vaccinated, and I'm at the local high school 3 or 4 days a week, shooting sports. So I have LOTS of potential exposure.

And then the question of will there be more covid spikes 1) as things loosen up and there are more gatherings and 2) winter hits and everybody is indoors. I don't know.

So, I bought a bunch of masks, figuring that we will need them at least till the fall.
The more the mask is used, the more clogged it gets, from particles (dust and pollen) in the air, and harder to breath through. And based on my bad allergy, there is a LOT of pollen in the air here, so I expect the masks to get clogged faster. In fact I wear the mask outside the house, as protection against allergy pollen. The clogged masks are noticeably harder to breath through, and uncomfortable to use. So I bought enough masks, to not have to use clogged masks.

But with the vaccine, at least we are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. Just got to get MORE people vaccinated.
I bought reusable, washable masks from Stark's. Triple layers, very comfortable, washable and they truly minimize fogging for eyeglass wearers.

Real Name
Bill Walderman
I doubt we're seeing light at the end of the tunnel. Too many people are refusing to get vaccinated. "Herd immunity" won't arrive for a long time if ever, while new and potentially more virulent strains may proliferate. And we can't expect to reduce the incidence of the virus in the US or other first-world nations when so much of the rest of the world, with which we can't avoid maintaining connections, isn't getting vaccinated, due to sluggish vaccination programs or the unavailability of vaccine.

My guess is that there will be repeated cycles of loosening, surging, and tightening for the foreseeable future. I'm a pessimist, to be sure, but pessimism has rarely failed me.

Real Name
Aaron
I doubt we're seeing light at the end of the tunnel. Too many people are refusing to get vaccinated. "Herd immunity" won't arrive for a long time if ever, while new and potentially more virulent strains may proliferate. And we can't expect to reduce the incidence of the virus in the US or other first-world nations when so much of the rest of the world, with which we can't avoid maintaining connections, isn't getting vaccinated, due to sluggish vaccination programs or the unavailability of vaccine.

My guess is that there will be repeated cycles of loosening, surging, and tightening for the foreseeable future. I'm a pessimist, to be sure, but pessimism has rarely failed me.
I agree, “back to normal” may not come soon… or ever. Starting tomorrow, my kids’ school is going virtual for the next two weeks due to the number of COVID infections and related quarantines among students. Although no longer mentioned much in the news, COVID is still out there infecting many people every day.

Things are getting back to normal here in southern Utah. I rarely wear a mask anymore. Most restaurants are open and no one seems to be wearing a mask. Also, fewer stores are requiring masks and even those that do many fail to wear them and nothing is said. Infection rate is very low and death rate is almost non existent.

Stanford and the University of California colleges have decided that you MUST get a COVID vaccine to return to school (on campus) in the fall.

I can see the COVID vaccine eventually going down to the K-12 schools (once it is approved for children), and it being added to the list of mandatory vaccinations; diphtheria/tetanus/pertussis, polio, hepatitis-B, measles/mumps/rubella, chickenpox.

That is what I am afraid of. :( sigh

To me the safest way to go with regard to masks is disposable ones. Wear one once, discard it after returning home from errands or wherever one has been...... Next time venturing out of the home, put on a fresh, clean, sterile mask and go about one's business. Not a fan here of reusable fabric washable masks, whether from a company or from Aunt Susie's little Etsy "shop"...... That just does not feel safe to me.

To me the safest way to go with regard to masks is disposable ones. Wear one once, discard it after returning home from errands or wherever one has been...... Next time venturing out of the home, put on a fresh, clean, sterile mask and go about one's business. Not a fan here of reusable fabric washable masks, whether from a company or from Aunt Susie's little Etsy "shop"...... That just does not feel safe to me.

At the N95 level, I think they are all disposable; masks or filter elements.
I don't think you can disinfect an N95 mask at home.
There are commercial disinfecting methods, but those are for hospital volume facilities.
I doubt that you can practically clean the air particles (like pollen) out of the masks. And this is what clogs the mask and restricts air flow.

For N95/KN95 masks, I read that leaving them isolated and untouched for about 5 days would effectively disinfect them, as the COVID virus has a limited lifetime outside the body. So you can rotate through 5 masks, and use a different mask each day. Or to make it easier, 7 masks, one for each day of the week.

I think the washable masks are primarily meant to capture much of the larger outgoing moisture particles.
And very likely not protect against small inbound particles, like the N95 masks would.

Today I received my 2nd dose of Moderna with no side effects. I even worked out, went for a bike ride and sipped on a latte at the local coffee shop! Though for the past year I've been sticking to disciplined safety protocols, maintaining daily fitness including cardio/strength training and eating a healthy diet. I now have a massive bucket list of things to do and see!

Now only if the rest of society could have the same discipline to get through this pandemic... 😖

Things are getting back to normal here in southern Utah. I rarely wear a mask anymore. Most restaurants are open and no one seems to be wearing a mask. Also, fewer stores are requiring masks and even those that do many fail to wear them and nothing is said. Infection rate is very low and death rate is almost non existent.
We are the same here, Gordon.

Stanford and the University of California colleges have decided that you MUST get a COVID vaccine to return to school (on campus) in the fall.

I can see the COVID vaccine eventually going down to the K-12 schools (once it is approved for children), and it being added to the list of mandatory vaccinations; diphtheria/tetanus/pertussis, polio, hepatitis-B, measles/mumps/rubella, chickenpox.
Most states allow parents to opt out of the “mandatory” vaccinations for K-12 students because of religious or philosophical objections. Stanford is allowing those with religious objections to opt out.

https://www.ncsl.org/research/health/school-immunization-exemption-state-laws.aspx

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom