Covid-19 vaccination - anyone scheduled yet?

As I don't expect to be visiting hospitals or nursing homes, I'm putting my mask away.

I can't put the mask away yet. That's because I do all of the grocery shopping for my household and the grocery stores in my area still require everyone to wear a mask. That was true at least through today but might change soon now that the latest CDC guidance has been published.

During the last couple of months, the number of new covid cases per week where I live has been falling like a rock. There are now fewer new cases than during the lowest level of the plateau and the rate of new cases is still falling every week. I'm quite optimistic about that data continuing to improve as I don't see anything on the horizon that is likely to reverse the trend.

Exactly...... The grocery stores, other retail stores, the public library and probably the banks in Mike's and my area as of right now still require masks and I won't be surprised if that continues for a while yet. I'm OK with that, I've gotten used to pulling out a fresh surgical mask (I keep a supply in both the house and the car) to take with me and put on as I'm ready to enter a public building or the grocery store...... Better safe than sorry.

If the grocery store ended the requirement for the mask tomorrow, I wouldn't wear one. The risk that I would catch covid or that anyone would catch covid from me now that I'm fully vaccinated is probably less than the risk of any of us being affected just as badly while getting in a car accident on the way to the store (not that I use a car to get to it).

Going to a group function where it is already known and expected that everyone there -- regular attendees -- will have been fully vaccinated is quite different than going to the grocery store or some retail store where the vaccination status of other people in the building is unknown. I sure as heck wouldn't set foot in a Walmart or Target store without a mask! Those aren't stores that I frequent, though, so it's rather a moot point, actually..... About a week or so ago I was in Microcenter, a local electronics/computer store, and they not only require masks but are still providing a squirt of hand sanitizer when someone enters the building. I smiled at the lady and dutifully held out my hands for the squirt, thanked her, rubbed my sanitized hands together for a moment and moved on to do my business in the store....

Some stores, such as the Apple store at Tysons Corner Mall, as do all retail stores in this area, still have restrictions on the number of people allowed within their store at any one time, and are still requiring appointments for someone who wants to look at and buy something, or someone who needs to take in their own device for a checkup/repair at the Genius Bar. There is also Express Pickup for those who have ordered something online and had it delivered to the Tysons store. Before entering the store there is a temperature check and if for some reason the prospective customer doesn't have a mask already one is provided to him or her. Don't know if they also squirt hand sanitizer on the customer's hands. I imagine that as restrictions are loosened up in the Commonwealth of Virginia and presumably also Fairfax County over the next month or so that these current procedures will be eased up on, too. I haven't had a need to go to the Apple store (last time I bought something I had it delivered to me at home) since all of this has been in place but I think this by-appointment thing actually seems kind of appealing: it could be rather nice to be in that store without a whole mob of other people surrounding all the tables with the newest products or their kids' baby carriages and strollers in the aisles right in the way as one is trying to get to a particular section of the store.....

Last edited:
Going to a group function where it is already known and expected that everyone there -- regular attendees -- will have been fully vaccinated is quite different than going to the grocery store or some retail store where the vaccination status of other people in the building is unknown.

From what I can tell, the data doesn't support that line of thinking for those of us who are fully vaccinated. It can't hurt to wear a mask insofar as contracting covid is concerned, but I still get disoriented when I'm wearing a mask and very much look forward to the day that I never have to wear one.

From what I can tell, the data doesn't support that line of thinking for those of us who are fully vaccinated. It can't hurt to wear a mask insofar as contracting covid is concerned, but I still get disoriented when I'm wearing a mask and very much look forward to the day that I never have to wear one.

Believe me, I won't be at all sorry when the day comes that we really can feel safe when going out-and-about our business and pleasure without having to put on the darned mask!!! I've gotten more-or-less used to the thing but yeah, for me there are particular logistical issues and wearing it isn't all that comfortable, but, well, presumably it does the job in protecting me from others and others from me so I do what is being mandated at this time.....

Fully vaxxed here, and we're seeing pretty drastic drops in infection rates where I live in PA. Good news. The CDC easing restrictions sounds good as well, but I have to say I think we're going to have quite a bit of confusion. I'd like to never "mask up" again, but it was definitely easier with more severe mask guidelines.

The fact that vaccinated people are still getting Covid is a bit difficult to get my head around. Might they have long-haul issues? I just heard Sanjay Gupta say he doesn't know. Can they transmit to unvaccinated people, like parents with young kids? I'm hearing not, but not really sure how definitive that is.

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
Finally I got a dose of Pfizer-BioNTech, so I can start to relax.

It is a bit of a lottery here in Italy, you get what they have on the day you are booked in. I was booked to have Astra Zenica, but they had Pfizer on my shot day.

It all went really smoothly, as the organization was very efficient. From parking the car, I was out in half an hour.

The fact that vaccinated people are still getting Covid is a bit difficult to get my head around.
The vaccination has never been guaranteed to prevent anyone from catching covid. (No vaccine is 100% guaranteed to prevent disease.) The good news is that, so far, nobody that has been vaccinated has become seriously ill, such as requiring hospitalization.
Can they transmit to unvaccinated people, like parents with young kids? I'm hearing not
You mentioned Dr. Gupta. He said just last night that covid can be transmitted from vaccinated adults to unvaccinated children. Very little is known about whether it is likely that the children will become symptomatic. That's because so little testing is being done that we don't know how many children might have contracted covid and don't know it. (The same is true for adults.) Remember that there is a distinction between contracting covid and becoming infected, as Gupta puts it.

Real Name
Aaron
The vaccination has never been guaranteed to prevent anyone from catching covid. (No vaccine is 100% guaranteed to prevent disease.) The good news is that, so far, nobody that has been vaccinated has become seriously ill, such as requiring hospitalization.
Not quite accurate. According to the CDC, as of April 26, 2021, there have been 9245 breakthrough infections in vaccinated individuals, 835 required hospitalization, and 132 have died. That is out of more than 95 million fully vaccinated individuals, so it is pretty rare. (Source: CDC)

Real Name
Aaron
Aaron, I see the last post about you was 6 days ago. I hope being at home agreed with you and you are feeling better all the time.
Thank you for checking!

I am doing better, although still not back to normal. Dizziness, balance problems, and right-eye vision issues are still lingering, unfortunately. I am off to see a neurologist later this morning.

Real Name
Bill Walderman
Like Mike and Connie I live in Fairfax County VA. I was vaccinated in Feb-March. I live alone and rarely come into contact with large numbers of people except at the grocery store. I'm going to continue to mask when I do and, in fact, double mask in indoor settings, for a while. In stores, I prefer to wear a mask out of courtesy to the staff, who have no assurance that I or anyone else is vaccinated.

I stopped masking months before I was vaccinated when outdoors and not in close contact for extended periods with others, such as in parks and on uncrowded streets. Sometimes I used to pull on a mask out of courtesy when I briefly passed others wearing masks, but now so few people are wearing masks outdoors that I don't feel the need to do so.

I'm a little concerned that too little is known about how long such resistance as vaccination confers lasts.

Best wishes to Aaron for continuing improvement and a complete recovery soon.

Not quite accurate. According to the CDC, as of April 26, 2021, there have been 9245 breakthrough infections in vaccinated individuals, 835 required hospitalization, and 132 have died. That is out of more than 95 million fully vaccinated individuals, so it is pretty rare. (Source: CDC)

Thanks for providing that information. That's updated info that, to the best of my knowledge, is not being reported by any of the many medical professionals and reporters I'm seeing on CNN.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom