Covid-19 vaccination - anyone scheduled yet?

I've gotten information that our county health department is scheduling vaccinations beginning this Monday, Jan. 11th, for group 1B, which would include me and my wife. I filled out the contact form just now.

Has anyone here gotten scheduled yet? I assume our members from the medical profession have been vaccinated or scheduled by now.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Justin got his first shot this past Monday. I'm in the 65+ group and think it will be late Jan or early Feb for me. Our friends (75+) got their last Friday.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
He went to his appt, was in and out - quick and easy. Of course, we are so remote that they probably didn't get many doses...... He got his through the county health services. He had originally thought he might need to go to the VA, but the county came through very quickly.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
On the news tonight, they were reporting that many states had only given out 20-25% of the doses they had received! And some states are implementing restrictions and paper work that isn't necessary or make sense.

Real Name
Alex
How long did you have to wait in line?

5 minutes.
Had an appointment. It was very well organized in a branch of our county's major public hospital.
Easy peasy.

Getting the appointment was lucky as my wife was in, the second they opened their website. I understand that it was filled in an hour or less.

The county I live in has the most COVID in Virginia, mostly because it also has the highest population. The zip code I live in has the 5th highest COVID per capita of any of the 45 zip codes in the county. People in my age group represent 80% of the people that have died from COVID in my county. Yet the county's webpage says in one place that vaccination Phase 1C is partly for people aged 65 - 74 and in another place says that it's for people aged 64 - 74. Their link to details about Phase 1B takes you to an explanation of details about Phase 1C. The pandemic apparently isn't important enough for the county's public webpage to be accurate.

Our county is currently giving vaccinations for Phases 1A and 1B. I'm in Phase 1C but my wife isn't because she's younger (not to mention better looking). I don't know if my wife is in Phase 2, as the county provides no information about who is in Phase 2. Nah, information of that sort isn't important. :eek:

Last edited:
I just discovered the information this evening about our county giving vaccinations now to Phases 1A and 1B (starting Monday, January 11th for 1B), and at age 75 I'm definitely eligible for 1B, so next week will sign up as soon as the online signup/scheduling is available and hopefully will be able to get Part 1 of my vaccination next week or sometime thereafter. Given our large population here, though, including the cohort eligible for 1B, it possibly could be longer than just a week or so....

1bAdults 75+Eligible for vaccinationBeginning Monday, January 11, 2021, adults 75+ will be able to schedule an appointment for vaccine from the Health Department.Online appointment scheduler (available week of January 11)
Appointment scheduling via phone (available week of January 11)

What had prompted me to check was that earlier today I received an email informing me that on Monday the county library system will be going back to curbside and online services only; I suspect that this is in response to the current and increasing number of illnesses being reported and also proactively looking ahead to when there more than likely will be a surge and greater increase of cases due to those people who just could not stay at home during the Christmas and New Year's holidays. What happened on Wednesday in DC, too, is probably going to add to the caseloads as well for DC itself, Maryland and Virginia, not to mention the other locations around the country from which many out-of-towners came.

Last edited:
As an MD, still working over 65++, I got in the very first round of vaccine (first couple of days) . I get my 2nd dose of Pfizer next monday.
Second round was almost at the same time- basically anyone working in the hospital- all MD's, nurses, techs, therapists, etc. If they wanted it, they could get it starting about 2 weeks ago.
My wife is an RN, 65++. Still actively teaching in nursing- so she is in the third round. Same as the non hospital based staff, dentists, etc. 3rd round started this week. My dentist got his shot yesterday. Wife gets her first tomorrow.
At least in the medical community things have gone pretty smoothly locally. Pretty much anyone that wants a vaccine can get it in the next week or two. Appointments available- quick in and out. The hospitals have enough for their needs. I asked, and was told no obvious wasted doses yet. All in all, locally smooth.
I am not involved with the general population here- but I hear that is not going as smoothly. Numbers are overwhelming and it will take time.
gary

The next question is: what can we do once we are vaccinated?
I will certainly continue to wear a mask- the guy next to me doesn't know I have had the vaccine. We are also not sure if I could be contagious, but not sick, if I get it.
Is my life going to be safer. Yes
Is my life going to go back to normal- nope. Will I feel safe flying- right now my answer is still no. Same with restaurants, etc.
Darn it, I wish I felt differently about it.
IMHO we still have to wait for the overall numbers to go down.
Lets say the vaccine is 95% effective.
5% of a small number is small- but 5% of a large number is still too high.
It certainly is moving me in the right direction- but I am not ready to go out and about even after immunization.
CDC suggests similar guidelines.
Will be interesting to see how people handle this.
gary

I am intending to do the same things I have been doing for months now -- staying at home most of the time, only going to the grocery store, the library and the bank as needed, and not lingering in any of those places. Socialization is done mostly via the computer and the internet or by texting/talking on the phone..... Once in a while I'll see a neighbor and we'll stop briefly and have a quick chat but that's the extent of it. I haven't flown in years and have no plans for doing so in the future. While I hope that some day concerts and other events will open up again and that I'll be able to attend, that will only be if the event is within comfortable driving distance and I will simply go in my own car. Haven't eaten out in about a year, and have only had carryout/delivery once during this whole pandemic thing, and I don't expect that to change any time soon.

Definitely I will continue to wear a disposable "surgical" mask each time I leave the house and when I return home, after removing and discarding the mask, I will continue the practice of washing my hands thoroughly. I don't foresee life ever completely going to what we used to consider "normal," but I do look forward to when things are less problematic than they are right now. Unfortunately if there are a lot of people who for one reason or other resist and/or flat-out refuse being vaccinated, that is only going to delay the time when we all can begin to feel safe again.

Last edited:
Real Name
Bill Walderman
The county I live in has the most COVID in Virginia, mostly because it also has the highest population. The zip code I live in has the 5th highest COVID per capita of any of the 45 zip codes in the county. People in my age group represent 80% of the people that have died from COVID in my county. Yet the county's webpage says in one place that vaccination Phase 1C is partly for people aged 65 - 74 and in another place says that it's for people aged 64 - 74. Their link to details about Phase 1B takes you to an explanation of details about Phase 1C. The pandemic apparently isn't important enough for the county's public webpage to be accurate.

Our county is currently giving vaccinations for Phases 1A and 1B. I'm in Phase 1C but my wife isn't because she's younger (not to mention better looking). I don't know if my wife is in Phase 2, as the county provides no information about who is in Phase 2. Nah, information of that sort isn't important. :eek:
I'm in Fairfax County, too. I'm 1c until July, when I move up to 1b. At this rate, I expect that's when I'll get my vaccine if still alive. And if I can figure out where to get vaccinated. In the meantime, no social contacts apart from my dog and cat.

there is a South African strain that they say it might not work on.

That article also explains that it hasn't been tested. While a vaccine remains untested on a particular mutation of a particular strain, of course the vaccine might not work. The virus is going to be constantly mutating, so every time a mutation occurs, it's reasonable to conclude that the current vaccines might not work until they are proven to work.

Latest threads

Top Bottom