Covid-19 vaccination - anyone scheduled yet?

Phil K

Real Name
Phil
So presumably you are immune now. Good for you! And thanks for your good work.

I'm hoping we'll get the Kroger "leftovers" for the second dose.
Keep vigilant even after the 2nd shot because we are not sure about the efficacy.

5% chance of contracting the virus. Is that your understanding?
That is my understanding. Hopefully, after vaccination, if we do get it- we get less sick as well. Time will tell how that all works.
I got the Pfizer vaccine. First shot- nothing. Second shot, I was really sick for 12 hours, and about 4 days before I truly felt back to normal. I know several dozen people that have gotten the second Pfizer shot. Some had no symptoms, some were sicker than I. One got shingles for the first time 5 days after 2nd shot. Not really sure if it had any relationship or not. Lots we do not know.
My wife got the moderna vaccine. No symptoms after first shot. I do not know anyone that has gotten the second moderna shot yet- they are still another week or two out.
Good luck to all.
gary

Trying to get my mind around the meaning of 95% immunity; I guess that means that if exposed, you still have a 5% chance of contracting the virus. Is that your understanding?

Based on everything I understand, the only vaccine that is consistently higher than 95% efficacy is the measles vaccine, which is consistently reported at about 98%. The flu vaccines typically have 60% to 70% efficacy.

Real Name
Ken
I was truly hoping that post vaccination life could go back to normal. But with numbers this high I am still locked down pretty tight.
I am supposedly 95% immune. 5% of a small number is a small risk. but 5% of a large number is still a big number.
My wife gets her second dose in 2 weeks, and I promised we would go out to a restaurant 2 weeks after that.
That is as "wild" as I am going to get for a while.
gary
My wife and I are both immune compromised and were informed that they do not know the level of efficiency of the vaccine in immune compromised people because it has not yet been studied. I have not verified this information, but when I do get my vaccine, I am assuming that life for the two of us will not really change until the infection/death rates are significantly down in our area. Our risk profile may be lower from the vaccine, but we are somewhat risk averse and do not want to take any chances given the potential consequences for either of us given our health conditions.

--Ken

Phil K

Real Name
Phil
Valid point. Trying to get my mind around the meaning of 95% immunity; I guess that means that if exposed, you still have a 5% chance of contracting the virus. Is that your understanding?
The efficacy is about protection of symptomatic and severe infection. We are still gathering data on asymptomatic infection and transmission.

• Agree
Reactions: McQ
Got my second shot yesterday. Only thing to report is it wiped me out today, I was very tired. Took a nap when I got home from work today and since them my energy level seems to be back to normal.

My wife said she had heard that we are not to take painkillers for some time after the vaccination. Does anyone know anything about that? What about anti-inflammatories like Ibuprofen and Naproxen?

I thought this thread was to be used only for discussing when people are getting vaccinated. Even so...

"If you regularly take aspirin, acetaminophen (e.g. Tylenol) and ibuprofen (e.g. Motrin, Advil) for other medical conditions, please continue to do so as directed by your physician or as needed. Otherwise, do not pre-medicate. In general, pre-medicating with over-the-counter medications that reduce fever or inflammation such as acetaminophen (e.g. Tylenol) and ibuprofen (e.g. Motrin, Advil)before receiving a vaccine may reduceits ability to work and can blunt your immune response to the vaccine. The time to take these over-the-counter medications is if you have symptoms that make you uncomfortable after vaccination. If you are uncomfortable, don’t hesitate to take an over-the-counter medication to help you feel better. If you usually take these medications for other medical reasons, continue to take them per your normal routine."

https://www.som.uci.edu/docs/COVID Vaccine FAQ 12.17.2020 v2.pdf

"It is likely that some medications, especially steroids and anti-inflammatory medications, can affect your response to the vaccine. These medications might make the vaccine less effective for you...For the COVID-19 vaccines,...the vaccine’s effect will probably be slightly less in people who are taking anti-inflammatory or immunosuppressant medications than it will be in those who aren’t taking these medications. But especially for people who need to take these medicines, some immunity against COVID-19 is better than none."

https://www.goodrx.com/blog/covid-19-vaccine-drug-interactions/

If it's on the Internet, it must be true.

Last edited:

JLH

I am happy for all of you who are able to get your vaccine. Here we get more discouraged daily. Its so bad now that they have told us over 70 year olds they are no longer scheduling us and will let us know if that changes. Also the latest news is that it could be mid Summer or early Fall before they get to normal adults. Seems they keep changing the rules for who gets priority. Being old doesn't seem to be on the list right now.
If you have already gotten the vaccine or have an appointment to get it consider yourself very lucky. Many of us have little faith in seeing it anytime soon. I don't see anything like normal life returning until maybe 2022 at this rate.

Real Name
Dan
Alaska currently leads the nation in vaccinations at 9.93 doses per 100 population and just over 8 percent of the population having received at least the first dose. Yesterday crossed a milestone of more state residents vaccinated than have tested positive to-date. For US residents Bloomberg has a vaccination tracking page where you can see how your home state compares to the rest of the nation. Currently Alaska leads the nation while Nevada is at the bottom. Here's the link to the Bloomberg page.

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/covid-vaccine-tracker-global-distribution/

Alaska has also done the most testing per capita of any state therefore has a pretty good statistical data set. It can be informative for anyone who likes data more than headlines. Here's a link to the data page.

https://coronavirus-response-alaska-dhss.hub.arcgis.com/

If it's on the Internet, it must be true.

Thanks, Mike. I had found those same statements. But the pharmacist who administered our vaccinations said we should not take pain killers for 48 hours afterward. I was hoping some of our members who are medical professionals might have some definitive information.

Alaska currently leads the nation in vaccinations at 9.93 doses per 100 population and just over 8 percent of the population having received at least the first dose...Alaska has also done the most testing per capita of any state

I had not thought about that correlation, but now that I have, it's not a surprise.

Thanks for the link; very helpful!

That is my understanding. Hopefully, after vaccination, if we do get it- we get less sick as well. Time will tell how that all works.
I got the Pfizer vaccine. First shot- nothing. Second shot, I was really sick for 12 hours, and about 4 days before I truly felt back to normal. I know several dozen people that have gotten the second Pfizer shot. Some had no symptoms, some were sicker than I. One got shingles for the first time 5 days after 2nd shot. Not really sure if it had any relationship or not. Lots we do not know.
My wife got the moderna vaccine. No symptoms after first shot. I do not know anyone that has gotten the second moderna shot yet- they are still another week or two out.
Good luck to all.
gary

I got my second Moderna vaccination 2 days ago. No reaction to the first vaccine except for severe injection site pain lasting 24 hours and relieved with motrin. I've had a pretty significant reaction to my second dose. Fever (102.5), chills, body aches for the past 48 hours. I think I may be feeling a bit better today, but it's too early to tell.

I got my second Moderna vaccination 2 days ago. No reaction to the first vaccine except for severe injection site pain lasting 24 hours and relieved with motrin. I've had a pretty significant reaction to my second dose. Fever (102.5), chills, body aches for the past 48 hours. I think I may be feeling a bit better today, but it's too early to tell.

Thanks for the information, Mitchell. We know what we have to look forward to. Sorry about the discomfort, but I'm sure you'll be over it soon.

I've had a moderately sore shoulder since last night. Wife said she has no symptoms. So you did take Motrin to relieve the soreness from the first injection...

I did take motrin after 24 hours. It relieved my injection site soreness immediately.

I do not believe there is an official recommendation to avoid anti-inflammatories after this vaccine. A lot of these concerns are theoretical at this point and have not been studied. I certainly needed something the other night to get my fever down and opted for tylenol.

I do not believe there is an official recommendation to avoid anti-inflammatories after this vaccine. A lot of these concerns are theoretical at this point and have not been studied.

Those were my conclusions after all the web searches I did last evening. I'm going back to my regular dosage of Aleve after 24 hours.

I rarely take medications at all so no chances of me pre-medicating before I get my injection this afternoon! I did figure that if I had discomfort later that I might want to take something, and Aleve (Naprosyn) is my usual choice if something hurts. Aspirin and Tylenol don't seem to do much for me and at this point I don't even have any in the house. Fortunately I have a high tolerance level for pain and what some people might consider really painful I think of as "discomfort." I'm hoping that I won't have any more than tolerable discomfort with a bit of a sore arm or shoulder and that this is the end of it!

Latest threads

Top Bottom