Covid-19 vaccination - anyone scheduled yet?

Real Name
Ken St John
Got a notification that we mere mortals are now eligible, but after checking ... no available appointments. None.

I will try to call the VA ... but you can guess just how successful that will be!!

Ken

My two daughters are in the medical field. They both have had first Moderna shots as did my Mother-in-law, who is 85. They all live in Virginia. Second doses are all scheduled by 10 Feb for them.

None of them reported any issues. Wife and I are in the down the road group......

I listened to a Doctor explain that for those that have had Covid whether you got sick or not will have a heightened reaction to the second dose of the Vaccine. She said she has observed other Doctors and Nurses experience that and was not surprised that she did as well. For the rest of us there should be an increase in reaction but not something that an Advil and a night's sleep will not take care of for the most part.

And for the Shingles, just remember that shingles is attaching your nerves and it can do permanent damage to your nervous system.

My wife learned this afternoon that one of her friends and her husband got their first dose today at the same pharmacy where we got ours a week ago. But they got Pfizer and we got Moderna. That means we will both be eligible for second doses on the same day at the same facility, but different vaccines.

I'm wondering how that is going to work.

My wife learned this afternoon that one of her friends and her husband got their first dose today at the same pharmacy where we got ours a week ago. But they got Pfizer and we got Moderna. That means we will both be eligible for second doses on the same day at the same facility, but different vaccines.

I'm wondering how that is going to work.

Jim, ask them to show you the Moderna vial and watch them draw up the doses for you and your wife.

This is why everyone who gets the vaccine also gets a card upon which all the appropriate information is noted so that when the recipient shows up for that second does there are no errors made -- it's all right there, written down for the clinicians to see before they stick another needle in anyone's arm. Most of us are going to remember which vaccine we got and in which arm, but there probably are people who are a bit confused about some of this, thus the safeguards.

That is rather interesting, Jim, that now your pharmacy is administering the Pfizer vaccine, too -- they sure as heck better have an ample supply of each vaccine on hand on the day or within the week time frame in which you are eligible to receive the second dose of Moderna as well as having a second dose of Pfizer ready for those in your area who have now received that as their first dose.

Jim, ask them to show you the Moderna vial and watch them draw up the doses for you and your wife.

I trust this pharmacist completely, and she is a good friend. The pharmacy is in a large Kroger grocery, and they vaccinated all of their employees with Moderna on the same day we got ours. I don't think there will be a problem.

JLH

We are due to get our first shot at Noon on Thursday, Jan. 28. When we get the shot they automatically schedule us for the follow up shot. The hospital (Norton's Health Care in Louisville) has handled all of this very efficently. We get text messages to confirm, reminders with directions to the site and notes on what to expect. They seem to really have this proceedure down pat. As for the VA, I am in their system as I go there for checkups and such. Just today I got yet another email from them telling me how many shots they have given (to someone, somewhere) but still tell us, "We will call you, do NOT call us or show up!". Of course after tomorrow, provided all goes well after our snow storm tonight, I will advise the VA to give it to someone else!

I have read today that the Moderna vaccine has been found to provide 80% immunity two weeks after the first shot. But no one knows how long that level of immunity lasts, so the CDC still considers it important to get the second one.

Real Name
Randy
my arm was very sore and I felt puny until noon the next day but I'm 100% now. For my shot I went to a small town nearby where you met with a nurse in a private room and did the Q&A part and then the shot, then you waited 15 in another room Very professional and well done. Next shot in 3 weeks. I'm still not taking any chances

I have read today that the Moderna vaccine has been found to provide 80% immunity two weeks after the first shot. But no one knows how long that level of immunity lasts, so the CDC still considers it important to get the second one.

That's good to know, Jim, about the percentage of immunity already bestowed on someone who has had the first dose. Thanks! After hearing about what to expect as a reaction when having the second injection, I'd love to skip that "booster" dose but of course I won't. What I'm still wondering about is if we will have to go through this annually or at specific time periods now, perhaps getting a one-injection booster shot in order to keep up our immunity. As time goes on there will be answers to current questions and concerns, of course. The important thing right now is to get as many people vaccinated as is possible as soon as possible.

my arm was very sore and I felt puny until noon the next day but I'm 100% now. For my shot I went to a small town nearby where you met with a nurse in a private room and did the Q&A part and then the shot, then you waited 15 in another room Very professional and well done. Next shot in 3 weeks. I'm still not taking any chances
You must have had the Pfizer vaccine because of the 3 week span. It is good to know about your reaction. I will be getting the same.

JLH

Got the Pfizer today here in Louisville. Large hospital/healthcare chain is doing it. Very well run operation. The nurses said they were really making headway on the organization of it as they iron out the wrinkles. Everyone there (all females...not that unusual for the medical field I guess) were super. Very polite, upbeat, helpful and caring. I think the longer they do this the more efficient they become. They said at just this site they were now doing 400 people a day. (and they have several sites in Louisville).
Shot went fine. Gal did a great job, I could barely tell I was getting stuck! Tonight I feel 100% normal but am told the second one might give a little more side effects. But, from feedback from friends the experience with the second one is not so bad. One described it as: "Take a Tylenol and get a good night's sleep and it passes". Feb. 18th I get the follow up.
I just read a very article about why they do a second shot and how well the vaccine works if they miss it or change the spacing. The second shot can be anywhere from seven to forty-one days later but the three week thing seems to work well. The first shot gets your body ready to defend itself and the second really helps build up and improves its immunity.

I have read that you should not take any pain medicine as it can affect the vaccine's efficiency. I have had one dose of Moderna, and the second one will be in mid February.

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
I'm in Europe. Covid Vaccine? What's that? Does it really exist?

I am not even thinking about the possibility after looking at the newspapers.

Latest threads

Top Bottom