Covid-19 vaccination - anyone scheduled yet?

Real Name
Bill Walderman
Last night in a virtual "town hall" meeting, our county's public health director mentioned that appointments are currently being scheduled for those who registered on 1/18 by around 3:00 PM. I registered on 1/18 at 12:17 PM but hadn't received an appointment for my first dose. First thing this morning I called my district supervisor's office, and within two hours had an appointment for Friday.

I had my second Pfizer shot yesterday. No side effects at all. Ironically as I was waiting my 15 minutes until I could leave I learned that my son in law is sick with Covid, not hospitalized though. I won't be too excited about getting vaccinated until everyone who needs/wants it is vaccinated.

24 hours after 2nd Moderna, some aches and an out-of-sync feeling for me and my wife is still in bed due to dizziness.

Approaching 50 years of marriage, I will not ask “what’s ‘fer dinner tonight?”

Glad to hear of everyone getting their shots. We'll have this thing licked soon.

I read a column by a distinguished medical professor a couple of days ago saying he expects herd immunity by April. This is based on the ongoing vaccination campaign and the rate of infection, which, as bad as it is, does produce more immune people. And as we heard yesterday, the actual rate of asymptomatic or mild infection has been much higher than originally thought, which also adds to herd immunity.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Glad to hear of everyone getting their shots. We'll have this thing licked soon.

I read a column by a distinguished medical professor a couple of days ago saying he expects herd immunity by April. This is based on the ongoing vaccination campaign and the rate of infection, which, as bad as it is, does produce more immune people. And as we heard yesterday, the actual rate of asymptomatic or mild infection has been much higher than originally thought, which also adds to herd immunity.
Is that only in the USA? Other parts of the world are struggling....

And as we heard yesterday, the actual rate of asymptomatic or mild infection has been much higher than originally thought, which also adds to herd immunity.

We keep hearing very different information about that, depending on when we hear it. When the pandemic first took off, I regularly heard that the number of infected people might be 10 to 50 times higher than the documented number of infected people. It has been a long time since I've heard that information. Now we are again hearing about it at least by implication because of the possibility of herd immunity maybe happening sooner than we thought.

In very round numbers, there are about 350 million people in America and about 30 million have tested positive for COVID. If only four times that many people have actually been infected, that's about one-third of the population. If ten times as many people have been infected, which is the low end of the range we heard about at the beginning of the pandemic, that's 300 million people. (However, it's not possible at this point in time that even 15 times the number of documented cases actually exist because that number would exceed the number of people in America.) 300 million people are about 85% of the population, which is well within the range of what most experts explain will produce herd immunity.

We'll never know when we've actually reached herd immunity, if ever, until the data from sufficient testing of the population indicates so few new cases that it has to have been the result of herd immunity.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Top Bottom