Covid-19 vaccination - anyone scheduled yet?

The vaccination has never been guaranteed to prevent anyone from catching covid. (No vaccine is 100% guaranteed to prevent disease.) The good news is that, so far, nobody that has been vaccinated has become seriously ill, such as requiring hospitalization.

You mentioned Dr. Gupta. He said just last night that covid can be transmitted from vaccinated adults to unvaccinated children. Very little is known about whether it is likely that the children will become symptomatic. That's because so little testing is being done that we don't know how many children might have contracted covid and don't know it. (The same is true for adults.) Remember that there is a distinction between contracting covid and becoming infected, as Gupta puts it.
I think this speaks to the confusion we're facing. I was referencing Gupta on CNN last night as well, talking to Anderson Cooper. What I thought I heard him say is that new studies or data have led to conclusion that fully vaxxed people, if infected, will carry such a low viral load as to make transmitting Covid highly unlikely, though never impossible. So if you're a parent with a young child do you roll those dice just to avoid wearing a mask. I wouldn't, to be honest and maybe paranoid, but thankfully I'm not faced with that decision. The kiddo got her second shot this week, so soon as fully protected as can be.

I don't point this out to disagree with you Mike, and insist I'm right, but rather to highlight how easy it is for the messages to get twisted up a bit. I was watching the replay of the show after midnight, so maybe the odds are against me on this one. ;)

I was referencing Gupta on CNN last night as well, talking to Anderson Cooper. What I thought I heard him say is that new studies or data have led to conclusion that fully vaxxed people, if infected, will carry such a low viral load as to make transmitting Covid highly unlikely, though never impossible.

I agree with those details. I don't see any contradiction between my understanding and yours.

I agree with those details. I don't see any contradiction between my understanding and yours.
So that's good. I guess there's a bit too much nuance to some of this to feel 100% about whatever choices we make given the potential downside. All the politically-charged nonsense on top of it doesn't help. The science needs to speak clearly without voices trying to shout over it, from either side.

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
I'm missing a CDC overe here in Europe, even in Germany.
Every district (nation/state) speaks for it's own - often in different ways.

It was/is a lot of confusion
Klaus

Real Name
Don Roy
In Virginia, the mandatory wearing of masks in the stores is declared by the governor, not the stores. Until the governor changes the regulation to be more aligned with the CDC guidelines, masks will still be required in stores.
Same here in New Mexico, state has to approve no masks. I'm hoping for it soon for the gym more than shopping. It's hard to find a easy breathing mask when working out.

Chile had 1/3 adults vaccinated, but opening right away didn't work out too well for them:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/...eatens-chiles-exemplary-vaccination-strategy/

On top of that there are the variants that seem to be more infectious. Several countries are going through reoccurring surges and/or having to impose stricter quarantines such as Japan. Until the whole world gets through this pandemic, I'll keep my mask on when people are around. Unfortunately I don't have faith in others to abide in safe behavior.

It's hard to find a easy breathing mask when working out.

I use KN95/KF94 masks when working out at the gym. They retain their shape and repel sweat, unlike surgical and cloth masks that become soaked and make it harder to breath as they start clinging to your face. I also just focus on heavy lifting (deadlifts, bench, squats) at the gym now and reserve my cardio workouts with either outdoor jump roping, jogging or cycling. If running/cycling I go mask-less and put on my neck gaiter if people are near as a courtesy.

Real Name
Ken St John
For our family, my wife and I are both fully vaccinated (Moderna) and our son has had shot #1 (#2 is due next week, Pfizer). Glad to hear the CDC finally caught up with common sense!! What will be interesting is to see how quickly the powers to be "follow the science". Clearly it was a big issue for many folks last spring, I just hope the current bunch are more responsive.

And, no excuses for just about anyone to NOT get vaccinated. Other than legit medical issues, allergies, etc., I still do not understand why anyone would not take advantage of the vaccine when it's available to them.

We're off on a two week car trip later this month ... and it just got a whole lot less stressful!!

Ken

Better make sure that the governor of your state and the state(s) in which you are planning to travel have lifted the mask mandate, too....

Frankly, I'm afraid that a lot of people who aren't vaccinated and have no intention of being will happily toss away their masks and if asked about their vaccination status will simply lie about it since at this point there is no requirement than anyone show proof.

Real Name
Ken St John
Better make sure that the governor of your state and the state(s) in which you are planning to travel have lifted the mask mandate, too....

Frankly, I'm afraid that a lot of people who aren't vaccinated and have no intention of being will happily toss away their masks and if asked about their vaccination status will simply lie about it since at this point there is no requirement than anyone show proof.
Your're correct ... but since we're mostly going to be in states where I imagine the changes will come pretty quick (ID, UT, AZ), we're not too worried. We'll have the masks nearby, of course, if needed for restaurants, etc., and certainly we will not be jerks about wearing them.

I hate to sound cavalier ... but as far as I'm concerned at this point, if you don't want the shot (and there's no medical reason why you should not) .. and you get the virus .... well, let's be kind and just say, "I wish you well."

Ken

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen

We have been through many states in the last 6 weeks. Tn to Calif to Salt Lake City to Yellowstone to Lincoln, Ne. Some businesses have signs requiring masks to enter......most don't. At this point, it seems a LOT more a political issue than a "follow the science" issue.

Virginia is lifting the mask mandate at midnight tonight

Total Wine in McLean, Virginia lifted the mask requirement for people that have been vaccinated at least today if not a day or two ago. Their employees are not allowed to ask people not wearing a mask if they have have been vaccinated.

Meanwhile, another favorite wine store of mine still is not allowing any customers into its store.

Just saw the news about Virginia and the lifting of the mask mandate plus on May 28th the lifting of the capacity restrictions on gatherings, businesses, etc...... WOW! Originally the latter was to have taken place on June 15th. In Northern Virginia, a highly congested area, there have been a good number of people vaccinated but I am still leery of the ones who are not and have no plans to do so, I suspect that there are still quite a number of them. I fully anticipate that many of them will happily discard the mask and lie if questioned about their vaccination status. Well, I intend to still wear a mask, at least for a while longer until we see how this all actually plays out, when I next go to the grocery store or the bank or other places where there are strangers whose vaccination status I don't know.

Last edited:
Just saw the news about Virginia and the lifting of the mask mandate plus on May 28th the lifting of the capacity restrictions on gatherings, businesses, etc...... WOW! Originally the latter was to have taken place on June 15th. In Northern Virginia, a highly congested area, there have been a good number of people vaccinated but I am still leery of the ones who are not and have no plans to do so, I suspect that there are still quite a number of them. Well, I intend to still wear a mask, at least for a while longer until we see how this all actually plays out, when I next go to the grocery store or the bank or other places where there are strangers whose vaccination status I don't know.
Fingers crossed you don’t get the Indian variant we have here in the UK.
Our PM is concerned, as it spreads more easily than the traditional ones.
Good news is that hitherto the vaccines have not been shown to be ineffective against it.
People will get ill but not as bad as without a vaccination.

That does worry me, that Indian variant floating around, especially since it has migrated to the UK. Can the US be far behind? That's why I'm concerned about this sudden urge on everyone's part to be lifting restrictions and saying that vaccinated people do not need to wear masks any more unless visiting a nursing home or hospital, or I think using public transportation.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Top Bottom