Covid-19 vaccination - anyone scheduled yet?

There are still plenty of people wearing face masks in the city streets over here.
We were in the city just yesterday. While we have been fully vaccinated, including the the buffer period of two weeks, for some weeks now, we wore our masks.
There was one women we crossed that was holding the mask in here hands and putting it before her mouth and nose each time she crossed someone. I wondered why she just didn't keep it on while in the city.
Most people simply wore a mask, even while this is no longer required on the streets.
And rightfully so. Such a small thing to do to help protect those that still aren't fully vaccinated.
As a point of reference, we have a higher percentage of vaccination in the EU than in the USA.

The delta variant is on its way up and numbers are available showing that fully vaccinated people can get infected, get sick and can need hospitalisation.
The suggestions - rules - from the governments only care about numbers on population level. They are not at all interested on individual effects.
Probability can be "neglectable" on population level while not zero on individual level.
Not zero on individual level, that tells me what to do. Anybody in the mood for Russian roulette? I'm not.
And if that means I need to keep waring a mask, respect more than enough distance, work from home as long as it's allowed etc, I don't have a problem with that. Not a big deal after all. Not even a small deal.
So I certainly don't have a problem with this behaviour either to help protect other people that aren't fully vaccinated yet.

Lots of people wearing it here in Spain where it is either mandatory or recommended based on the situation/location.

Last edited:
2 jabs in Feb. and still masking inside public locations, hopefully avoiding a Covid induced departure of this world.

We are still avoiding crowded places. Do our shopping etc., during the quieter times (the joys of retirement!) and still keep our distances as best we can. Following the CDC's recent reversal we plan on masking up when needed.

Real Name
Don Roy
We are still avoiding crowded places. Do our shopping etc., during the quieter times (the joys of retirement!) and still keep our distances as best we can. Following the CDC's recent reversal we plan on masking up when needed.
That's exactly what I'm doing. Our NM governor just 'advised' we follow this weeks new CDC guidelines. I took a mask with me to the grocery store today, just in case it was I good idea, but I never got within 6' of anyone, didn't use it.

Even though I have been fully vaccinated since early March, I still wear a mask when going to the store, the library, the bank.....anywhere that is likely to have other people, masked or unmasked, vaccinated or unvaccinated. It just feels safer that way. And, yes, I also tend to go to these places during the times when they are less likely to be crowded anyway. I still keep a baggie of masks in the car in case I for some reason have forgotten to grab one as I'm leaving the house.

Real Name
Ken St John
Considering we're both fully vaccinated, it will take more science to convince me that I need a mask anywhere. This looks more like a blanket order is the only way to protect those who are not vaccinated. If you read the CDC guidance itself, there's far too many "may" "possibly" kinds of words that are not very scientific ... but very much government-speak.

Sorry, but I have little sympathy for those skipping the vaccines (except those with legit medical conditions or allergies to the ingredients of course.)

However, I am wearing my mask when I visit my wife in the hospital (a lower GI blockage got her pretty bad), of course. Stupid, I am not.

Luckily it looks like she'll be released today!!

Ken

Last edited:
From an article in today's Wall Street Journal:

Researchers estimate that Delta is roughly 50% more contagious than the Alpha variant, the strain previously dominant in the country. Alpha was about 50% more contagious than the original Wuhan strain.

In a July study, Chinese researchers found that people infected with the Delta variant on average had roughly 1,000 times more copies of the virus in their respiratory tracts than people infected with the original strain.

here in the bastion of freedom known as North Idaho I’m seeing about 2% of the shoppers wearing masks, no workers in the three grocery stores I’ve visited in town are wearing masks.
Monday I drove Mari to Spokane for some medical thing and I visited Costco. In that store about 50% of the shoppers and we’re masked, most of the employees had masks. I was surprised to see that many people with masks.

here in the bastion of freedom known as North Idaho I’m seeing about 2% of the shoppers wearing masks, no workers in the three grocery stores I’ve visited in town are wearing masks.
Monday I drove Mari to Spokane for some medical thing and I visited Costco. In that store about 50% of the shoppers and we’re masked, most of the employees had masks. I was surprised to see that many people with masks.
Meanwhile, 2 hours south of you, I'd estimate 10-20% of shoppers mask up, half or more of clerks at banks, PO, stores, restaurants, etc., are masked.

Real Name
Rodney
Considering we're both fully vaccinated, it will take more science to convince me that I need a mask anywhere. This looks more like a blanket order is the only way to protect those who are not vaccinated. If you read the CDC guidance itself, there's far too many "may" "possibly" kinds of words that are not very scientific ... but very much government-speak.

Sorry, but I have little sympathy for those skipping the vaccines (except those with legit medical conditions or allergies to the ingredients of course.)

However, I am wearing my mask when I visit my wife in the hospital (a lower GI blockage got her pretty bad), of course. Stupid, I am not.

Luckily it looks like she'll be released today!!

Ken
Happy to hear your wife is going home!

I agree with you about those who choose not to be vaccinated. The issue then becomes children who aren’t eligible yet for the vaccine. Recent studies seem to show that vaccinated folks can be asymptomatic and pass the virus to others who aren’t protected. Since I have children in that are group, I’m still masking and social distancing.
There are actually some governors who took control away from counties and school districts and said they can’t require masks in schools. They’re making it a political issue rather than a healthy one.

If you read the CDC guidance itself, there's far too many "may" "possibly" kinds of words that are not very scientific ... but very much government-speak.

I saw the head of the CDC in a live interview on television this morning. She provided contradictory information and she flat out avoided answering an important question. Very much like a politician.

Meanwhile, 2 hours south of you, I'd estimate 10-20% of shoppers mask up, half or more of clerks at banks, PO, stores, restaurants, etc., are masked.
you’ve got a couple of universities down there, reading comprehension might be better and that could contribute to increased mask awareness. I haven’t spent a lot of time down that way other than dropping off kids at school and attending graduations, but it feels like it’s different political environment than what exists here. I keep telling Mari we should look at the area around Moscow as a potential move. I spent. most my adult life at and around universities and I like the environment they create.

you’ve got a couple of universities down there, reading comprehension might be better and that could contribute to increased mask awareness. I haven’t spent a lot of time down that way other than dropping off kids at school and attending graduations, but it feels like it’s different political environment than what exists here. I keep telling Mari we should look at the area around Moscow as a potential move. I spent. most my adult life at and around universities and I like the environment they create.
True, except for a certain overpaid football coach! o_O

Latest threads

Top Bottom