Covid-19 vaccination - anyone scheduled yet?

Phil K

Real Name
Phil
For those going for a booster, see if you can get a flu shot as well. Prediction says this season's flu will be bad.

I keep seeing conflicting information
My understanding is that cdc recently stated you can get covid and flu shots at the same time.
Before the recent announcement the recommendation was to put 2 weeks between the shots, but that recommendation has changed.
There is of coarse nothing wrong with putting time between the vaccines, but you no longer have to.
gary

There is of coarse nothing wrong with putting time between the vaccines

If I was fully vaccinated for covid (I am) and if I was concerned about getting the covid booster and the flu shot at the same time (I'm not), I would get the flu shot first and get the covid vaccination later. That's because I wouldn't be protected much at all from the flu but I would be largely protected from the covid.

I probably should have gotten the flu vaccination when I got the covid booster. The reason I didn't is that I went brain-dead at the time. Unfortunately, neither America's FDA nor CDC has approved a vaccine for becoming brain-dead.

Thanks, Gary! Since you're a physician and are on top of things going on in medicine, I'll pay heed to your words! I am still leery of getting a vaccine booster of anything other than Moderna, since that is what I started out with and would prefer to stick with at this point. The flu shot, not a big concern, of course. Whatever this year's variation on offer is, fine with me!

There have been a couple of papers published that showed increased "protection" by mixing vaccines, and getting a different booster shot.
This has not been accepted by mainstream medicine, but to me it shows how much we don't know.
I personally stick with what my doctor tells me to do, and he follows cdc recommendations.
gary

Pharmacist told me, last year most of us were stuck at home, so there was very little interaction with others, so less chance to catch the flu. That is why there were less flu cases last year. This year, now that things are opening up, students are in school, and people are getting together again, there is a greater probability of getting the flu. So I got the flu shot soon after the pharmacy got the flu vaccine.

Just as Mike said, the pharmacist recommended getting the flu shot, before the Covid booster.

BTW, I understand that the flu vaccine is a "cocktail," targeted to a list of "most likely" strains of the flu. You can still get one of the strains of flu that is not in the vaccine cocktail.

By the way, talking to several local docs in the Er's and Icu's.
We are seeing some breakthrough infections, that is covid infections in completely vaccinated patients.
They tend to not get as sick.
They are seeing breakthrough infections more with the Pfizer than with the Moderna vaccines, 6+months out from the 2nd shot.
This is just one random data point, but may be why the Pfizer was approved earlier than the Moderna for a 3rd booster shot.
gary

Pharmacist told me, last year most of us were stuck at home, so there was very little interaction with others, so less chance to catch the flu. That is why there were less flu cases last year. This year, now that things are opening up, students are in school, and people are getting together again, there is a greater probability of getting the flu. So I got the flu shot soon after the pharmacy got the flu vaccine.

Just as Mike said, the pharmacist recommended getting the flu shot, before the Covid booster.

BTW, I understand that the flu vaccine is a "cocktail," targeted to a list of "most likely" strains of the flu. You can still get one of the strains of flu that is not in the vaccine cocktail.
That's my understanding too but with the caveat that getting a flu shot in the last week of October makes it more likely you will get a more appropriate cocktail that you would right now.

My mom's doctor wanted her to get the covid booster so three weeks ago I took her to get her booster and I got mine as well. I had more side effects from the pfizer booster than I did either of the original shots. It only lasted for a couple of days, but I had a temperature of 101, a headache, and body aches. I slept most of one day with no energy to get out of bed. I haven't got my flu shot yet, but will get it soon. I had a bad enough reaction to the covid shot. I'm glad I didn't combine it with a flu shot.

That's my understanding too but with the caveat that getting a flu shot in the last week of October makes it more likely you will get a more appropriate cocktail that you would right now.
I am not a virologist, but my understanding is that 9 different flu shots have been approved by the fda this year.
They all work on the same 4 strains, which were chosen earlier in the year as a best guess. The strains covered will not change between now and the end of October- we can't work/change that fast.
Our hospital chains all require us to get the flu shot by oct 15, I got mine last week.
gary

Latest threads

Top Bottom