Covid-19 vaccine - anyone scheduled yet?

I had no issues or problems with the first injection at all.
My arm was a little sore the next day, 1 out of 10, but that was it.
For me the headache and malaise started about 10 hours after the 2nd shot.
Still better than the patients I have seen with covid issues.
gary

It's good to know what to expect with this vaccine so that prior to going for the first injection and then again the second one, one can prepare to be spending some quiet time at home recuperating! Still better than trying to recover from the actual virus!
Everyone reacts differently. Before getting my Shingrix vaccine the doctor warned me that I might be down for a couple of days...said I might feel like I was hit by a truck!

Fortunately I didn’t experience that...a little stiffness in my arm was all.

Glenn

Our local Public Health Department admitted in an article in today's newspaper that they are overwhelmed with responses since opening appointment registrations for the vaccine. The spokesperson said that they would concentrate initially on essential workers, and it would likely be next week before they could get to ordinary citizens in category 1B (like my wife and I).

In another note, an article in today's Wall Street Journal says it is not yet known for certain if vaccination prevents asymptomatic transmission. In other words, even after being vaccinated one might still be able to become infected and pass it on without ever developing symptoms.

...In another note, an article in today's Wall Street Journal says it is not yet known for certain if vaccination prevents asymptomatic transmission. In other words, even after being vaccinated one might still be able to become infected and pass it on without ever developing symptoms.
Nor will "they" ever know. Or more accurately it's not likely that the experts will ever agree. I find it informative to research(other than in the press) what "they" do and don't know about influenza after decades of study. It's still a topic of debate whether the flu can be transmitted by surface contact. It has become conventional wisdom to mitigate that risk because it's easy and inexpensive to do so. But it's not verifiable science. And "most experts agree" that the primary source of transmission is via airborne droplets from an infected person's coughing, sneezing or talking. Which is why I've made previous comments about the path forward. There is going to be some degree of uncertainty and some level of risk about these questions for the foreseeable future.

My local all-news radio station announced yesterday that anyone in my area that was at least 65 years old could now get vaccinated. This was contrary to all previous information that everyone except first-line folks had to be at least 75. So, I rushed to the pertinent website to determine if indeed a change had been made that would allow me to schedule my vaccination. Alas, nothing had changed; the news broadcast was incorrect.

Howdy all,

I work at the hospital in a Pathology lab and I went for the 1st dose last Friday. I only had a sore shoulder where the injection occurred. no other side effects. The Pfizer one is being used here..

My local all-news radio station announced yesterday that anyone in my area that was at least 65 years old could now get vaccinated. This was contrary to all previous information that everyone except first-line folks had to be at least 75. So, I rushed to the pertinent website to determine if indeed a change had been made that would allow me to schedule my vaccination. Alas, nothing had changed; the news broadcast was incorrect.
Apparently a change will be announced today by The Department of Health and Human Services to open up vaccinations to anyone over 65.

the problem is there is no centralized coordination for the rollout of this vaccine. Operation Warp Speed has lost its Warp Core ( Trekkies will get this humor). This time the vaccine is sent to states and then they are on their own about how to distribute.

When H1N1 flu virus was determined to be the strain that year. there was a centralized rollout from the federal government for distribution and how to administer the flu shot.

Last edited:
"The new plan would also change guidelines to allow vaccinations immediately for anyone anyone 65 and older..." (Italics added by me).

Sounds like it will still be up to local authorities.

Screen shot from Roanoke Times, 12 Jan.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

By "Health Systems" I think they mean your physician's office.

Note the Feds are only issuing guidelines. It's still a state/local policy decision on how the rollout goes in a given location. For example Alaska had already progressed to the 65 and older phase due to a surplus of vaccine after the first two rounds. It really boils down to supply/demand.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
And if the State/county is out of vaccines, it is a moot point. I worry about those who will likely NOT be able to get their second dose because the vaccines will be consumed by those getting their first dose. Thus, the amount or period of protection will probably be affected....................

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Lucky you! Go for it.

We have friends in a local nursing home in their 80s, 90s, and even one over 100 who have not yet been vaccinated.
The elderly are not even scheduled to be vaccinated until all care givers are vaccinated! Guess the elderly's biggest risk is exposure to infected care givers.

The elderly are not even scheduled to be vaccinated until all care givers are vaccinated! Guess the elderly's biggest risk is exposure to infected care givers.
Most definitely. I am so thankful my parents have passed and have been spared this nightmare, especially considering that many care givers are declining the vaccine.

Real Name
Ken St John
Just checked ... and here's what the state of Washington reports:

"People eligible to get vaccine in Phase 1A (going on now):

People who work in healthcare settings.
High-risk first responders.
People who live or work in long-term care facilities.

When Phase 1B starts later this January, the first tier eligible to get vaccine will be:

People 70 years or older.
People 50 years or older who live in multi-generational households."

Two thoughts ... I guess according to this my wife and I will be eligible in phase 1B ... I'm 70 and she's 52, but we live together!! :) Second thought ... I didn't know elected officials fell into one of the 1A categories, but many have also had their shots as well. Good for them!!

Ken

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom