Covid-19 vaccination - anyone scheduled yet?

My wife was finally able to get on a couple of lists. Just doing that was a major accomplishment. The whole roll out and allocation of vaccine is a bit of a mystery. I am curious how it compares to the polio vaccine distribution. All I can remember about that was going down to one of the local schools to stand in line and get my sugar cube.
Hopefully m oncologist will tell me whic of the vaccines is suitable for me. My lungs are in a weakened state. COVID would be an automatic ICU case for me.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Uuum... that is a plan.
Each state has its own health services, make most of their own regulations and processes and have the responsibility to deal with health services. Some states are handling their responsibility very well. Others states - not so much.

I'm curious - is your district within a county among other districts? Or does it cover a larger region? Just trying to get a feel for the pace of the shots being administered.

It is a four-county district: Montgomery, Floyd, Pulaski, and Giles counties in SW Virginia. Montgomery County, home of Blacksburg and Virginia Tech, has about 100,000 residents while Floyd County, with 15,000, Pulaski County, with 34,000, and Giles County, with about 17,000, are much smaller.

We live in Montgomery County but within 5 miles of the Giles County line. Giles has their own vaccination clinic and apparently has excess capacity. One of my wife's friends called there and got an appointment for her and her husband for today. My wife tried that number this morning and got a recorded message saying leave your phone number if you are a Giles County resident.

Last edited:
Real Name
Dan
Each state has its own health services, make most of their own regulations and processes and have the responsibility to deal with health services. Some states are handling their responsibility very well. Others states - not so much.
Exactly. If you live in a state/city that is doing a poor job don't blame Uncle Sam. He(we) paid for the stuff and passed it along. Oh and provided guidance for distribution. Not his fault if local authorities don't know or can't agree what to do next.

Real Name
Randy
my wife just scheduled me for 6 days from now, WOW, Moderna. As it turns my cancer and age did nothing to get me any priority. This is the downhill effect of the Feds changing the rules to anybody over 65.

Real Name
Randy
Exactly. If you live in a state/city that is doing a poor job don't blame Uncle Sam. He(we) paid for the stuff and passed it along. Oh and provided guidance for distribution. Not his fault if local authorities don't know or can't agree what to do next.
well IMO that is the problem. The feds should have done way more than just pass it to 50 states and let them have it. After 1st responders the feds should have distributed 600m doses and said treat it like a regular flu shot. As it is the original requirement to have people with other health risks go 1st has been completely ignored, probably because local health depts don't know who has what disease and they shouldn't

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
I'm considered an essential employee, so as soon as the vaccine is available to those in my organization (in about a week or so), I'll be able to get it.

Real Name
Dan
I think we're back to that point of this becoming a political discussion. Where one stands in the political spectrum determines who one thinks is responsible for what :confused: And the more "logical" one argument seems versus another is more a statement of political conviction than of anythingelse. One thing I've learned with age is that there are 1000 ways to do anything and 999 of them are wrong :)

Real Name
Randy
I think we're back to that point of this becoming a political discussion. Where one stands in the political spectrum determines who one thinks is responsible for what :confused: And the more "logical" one argument seems versus another is more a statement of political conviction than of anythingelse. One thing I've learned with age is that there are 1000 ways to do anything and 999 of them are wrong :)
I don't agree but moving on is a good idea:)

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
In Tennessee, there is such a backlog of 75+, that they are not taking names of 65+ folks.....at least not in the rural area where I live.

My wife is scheduled to receive her 2nd Maderna injection a week from tomorrow.
I'm on a couple "lists" (Dallas County, My Dr's office, and my wife's office), but nothing yet.

my wife just scheduled me for 6 days from now, WOW, Moderna. As it turns my cancer and age did nothing to get me any priority. This is the downhill effect of the Feds changing the rules to anybody over 65.
Randy, I am glad you are approved for the Moderna. Hopefully the oncologist will approve me for it.

Latest threads

Top Bottom