CP 67mm for landscapes

I am looking into a CP for my 18-70mm which takes 67mm. I am not really willing to pay more than $50 for one, so I am looking for recommendations for some brands in that mid-level range.

Thanks

:579:

Buy a step up ring and get a 77mm CP; 77 is the standard size for most of the other lenses and it will save you having to sell off a 67 at a later date. Irrespective of size, a $50 budget may be hard to meet for a worthy CP.

Sean

B

Bill N

You might want to think about 77mm filters, use a step up ring. That way you can feel better about using a better/more expensive filter and know that it can be used with lenses you get down the line. Say you get the 18-200mm in 72mm, you then just have to buy a 72mm to 77mm step up ring and still use the filters you have. No sense putting too cheap of a filter in front of a expensive lens. 77mm filters a good standard size to use w/step up rings and can be used on most pro grade lenses as is, most are 77mm. Just my 2 cents, YMMV. Regards, Bill

I don't have the "digital" pro 1 but do have a pro 1 "something" that I purchased from the same retailer. It takes 1 to 2 weeks for delivery but is worth the savings to me.

Linda

The Pro1 Digital Hoya from that firm is the best deal going. They are genuine Hoya, and the service is great. Their website is cheaper than their eBay site (besteastern).

I like filters from B + W generally. Hoya, a favorite of many, makes some of the world's best optical glass and their best series of filters are quite good. What separates B + W form the others when buying a CP is that the polarizing material is embedded in the glass. Hoya and others use a coating (a film actually). That's not necessarily a bad thing but I think, considering the cost of fine polarizers, the less potential there is for scratching, the better I like it. In Hoya's defense, I think they sandwhich the polarizing material and the good constuction technique used to mount the glass and the ring probably form a good seal.

The price for the Hoya Digital Pro1 earlier is certainly good, as long as others are confident it is the real deal. If someone prefers to buy from a US dealer who is authorized to sell Hoya, then I recommend you check out www.2filter.com

I paid about $82 for the 67mm CP Digital Pro1 and it included free shipping. I ordered it on Saturday, it shipped on Monday, and I recieved on Wednesday.

http://www.2filter.com/hoya/hoya_pro1_digital.html
(price reflected in the cart)

B&H wants about $139 for the exact same filter, so this is a smoking deal.

Please keep in mind there are substantial upgrades on this Hoya version, including a superior multi-coating, thin frame (for wide angle), and yet is still uses threads (so a lens cap can be used).

http://thkphoto.com/products/hoya/index.html

http://thkphoto.com/products/hoya/pro1d-04.html

http://thkphoto.com/products/hoya/hoya-02.html

Real Name
Chris
... What separates B + W form the others when buying a CP is that the polarizing material is embedded in the glass. Hoya and others use a coating (a film actually). ....
While it is true that many of B+W filters are solid colored glass, this is not the case for their polarizing filters. All polarizing filters are made by sandwiching a thin polarizing sheet and, in the case of circular polarizers, a retarding plate between two pieces of optically flat glass. The heat needed to produce solid polarizing glass flats would destroy the polarizing material.

B+W filters do have brass rings, and the two optical flats are sealed, which contribute to a longer life and higher price.

While it is true that many of B+W filters are solid colored glass, this is not the case for their polarizing filters. All polarizing filters are made by sandwiching a thin polarizing sheet and, in the case of circular polarizers, a retarding plate between two pieces of optically flat glass. The heat needed to produce solid polarizing glass flats would destroy the polarizing material.

B+W filters do have brass rings, and the two optical flats are sealed, which contribute to a longer life and higher price.

Chris -
A B+W rep told me this himself and I have no reason to dispute it. However, I have always thought that all the better makers create CPs as you suggest.

This is what I had also learned from my research. However, I believe only the B&W "Kaesemann" series are actually sealed using a special process. Ironically, the most detailed information I could find anywhere was in B&H Photo's 2007 Digital Camera Sourcebook.

Latest threads

Top Bottom