1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!
  1. Hi All,

I just picked up a B&W Circular Polarizing filter for my (77mm threads) 17-55mm f/2.8. I also picked up a 67mm-->77mm converter so I can use the new CPL on my 70-300 VR instead of the cheap CPL I previously had (SunPak: <$20).

Question: What is a typical f-stop loss with a CPL? (is it ~2 stops?) I don't really want to spend additional $$ on a neutral density filter. Is there anything stopping me from using this CPL as a neutral density filter (excuse my lack of knowledge), or should I really pick up a neutral density filter for bright days when I want a wide-open aperture?

Thanks

2. I could be wrong, but I 'think' different CPL will have different light stopping abilities - just from the way different manufacturers make them, with cheaper ones stopping more light. The Nikon CPII that I have certainly lets in more light than the old cheap Hoya one I had a few years ago.

A CPL isn't a ND replacement though, so if you need to stop a lot of light then that is still the way to go.

3. I found the specs for the B&W Filter that I bought. It states a reduction of 1.3 stops of light. I guess a "typical" ND filter is ~3 stops? Am i correct in stating that?

Edit: I see they are available in many different stops. I think I'm clearer now. Thx.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.