crapper or dapper?

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Thaddeus, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Thaddeus

Thaddeus

Jul 24, 2008
    TX
    heavily processed with nik's viveza plugin (very cool tool) because the trees were really dark and the sky really bright. i figured what the hell ...but as a result, a great deal of noise seems to have been introduced. thoughts, suggestions? overall am I going in a good direction?

2740420916_44317821ff_o.

2. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Michael, this is a difficult scene. It's hard to tell what you've accomplished without seeing where you started:wink:. There's bound to be noise in the underexposed areas [think signal to noise ratio]. It looks like some additional detail could be extracted from the trees -- if that's what you're looking for.

3. To be a bit more concise than Bob... Crapper.

Sorry, but there's just not a lot there. Yes a potentially dramatic sky but the trees only present a distraction and keep you from
    exposing and processing for that dramatic sky.

Don

4. Thaddeus

Thaddeus

Jul 24, 2008
    TX
    so what could I have done differently to make the composition better?

btw, there's no hurt feelings here. it wasn't presented as a "looky what i made" and expected back patting ;) . it's a "what can i do better next time" experience for me..

5. Michael, I have

tried on a number of occasions to capture clouds and sunlight like this. Your image is very much like mine. :smile:

I am sure it was a very dramatic sight. However, as Don pointed out, there is not a lot there in this image. It would be nice to have a lake in the foreground, or mountains in the background , or some other element beyond the trees here, to get the clouds and light in context. Maybe the clouds could be used to replace some boring sky on another image.

6. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Michael,
    The first thing you need to do is to decide what you like about the scene. Then maximize that aspect while minimizing everything else. In this case, find an angle or a location where you can make the trees become only a minor component -- say, just a defining element in the horizon. The shot from the current site/angle would be better if there were something more interesting in the foreground -- a house, a lake, etc.
    As for exposure, this kind of shot frequently involves a combination of very bright sky with very dark ground level objects. Your eye/brain can handle the dynamic range because the brain continually adjusts -- the camera (any camera) however is stuck with a single exposure setting for the whole scene. When the scene is composed of more or less non-interferring layers of brightness, a neutral density gradient (ND grad) filter can be used to help the camera optimize the exposure for the whole scene. Otherwise, as in this case, you should consider bracketting the exposures to optimize the exposure for each area. Then blend the images in post processing.
    Note: If you bracket exposures, use a tripod -- any movement by either you or parts of the scene (wind) will make blending more difficult.

7. Thaddeus

Thaddeus

Jul 24, 2008
    TX
    wonderful feedback. thanks guys!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.