Crash Kalitta Air

Hi,

I'm living in the neighborhood of the Brussels Airport.
Yesterday, an American freight plane from Kalitta Air tried to take off but something went wrong (possibly pilot mistake but investigation is still going on).
It went of the runway and stopped about 50 meters from a house. We all were very lucky that nothing serious happened. Crew just had some minor injuries and the fuel didn't explode...

UPDATE: American security officers stayed all night at the plane. Apparently, part of the cargo was diplomatic mail. The officers, probably from the Diplomatic Security Service are guarding the plain and are waiting till they can fetch the mail. The plane was flying for the American government and heading for Bahrein. If I'm correct, Bahrein is the "home harbor" (what's the correct word?) of the 5th fleet.

Album: http://d-eye.be/?page_id=241&g2_itemId=3791

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited by a moderator:
nice PJ work, Rudy
that 747 split right in half
i hope they quickly find out how this happened
glad no one was seriously injured

the fact that it was a freight plane with a very small crew (and no passengers, of course) made all the difference

thanks for the thread and pictures

Rudy

Like Greg said. Nice work. Luckily it didn't catch fire but it's going to be a huge job to get the wreckage moved. I wonder if that plane will be salvaged and put back into service.

Cheers

Ted:smile:

I believe you may be thinking of home port. Those are good photos. That's an amazing amount of damage. I certainly don't want to fly in that but who knows what they'll do.

Nice captures..........thank goodness there was no fire, or passengers as well. It could have been worse.

Nice shots of a bad situation. It was on local TV here as the home base of the plane is Willow Run which is about 20 miles from my home. Kalitta air is a large freight air line which buys used aircraft after they are retired from passanger service. The owner is the famous drag racer Connie Kalitta.

G

Gary Mayo

I bet money it will be repaired good as new. Bad as it looks, it is still pretty much in one piece.

Great Captures!

Given that it probably has a very high total hours on airframe and that the fuse is broken in two places, I'd wager it won't be rebuilt. The extra damage done to it to remove it from it's present location should seal the deal. Damage looks structural as the nose and tail both appear to have seperated from the main fuse.

Almost looks like an optical illusion, hehe.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom