1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Crash Kalitta Air

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by jamesjoyce, May 26, 2008.

1. jamesjoyce

jamesjoyce

May 2, 2005
    Belgium
    Hi,

I'm living in the neighborhood of the Brussels Airport.
    Yesterday, an American freight plane from Kalitta Air tried to take off but something went wrong (possibly pilot mistake but investigation is still going on).
    It went of the runway and stopped about 50 meters from a house. We all were very lucky that nothing serious happened. Crew just had some minor injuries and the fuel didn't explode...

UPDATE: American security officers stayed all night at the plane. Apparently, part of the cargo was diplomatic mail. The officers, probably from the Diplomatic Security Service are guarding the plain and are waiting till they can fetch the mail. The plane was flying for the American government and heading for Bahrein. If I'm correct, Bahrein is the "home harbor" (what's the correct word?) of the 5th fleet.

Album: http://d-eye.be/?page_id=241&g2_itemId=3791

vliegtuig1.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

vliegtuig2.jpg

vliegtuig3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2008
  2. nice PJ work, Rudy
    that 747 split right in half
    i hope they quickly find out how this happened
    glad no one was seriously injured

the fact that it was a freight plane with a very small crew (and no passengers, of course) made all the difference

thanks for the thread and pictures

3. Rudy

Like Greg said. Nice work. Luckily it didn't catch fire but it's going to be a huge job to get the wreckage moved. I wonder if that plane will be salvaged and put back into service.

Cheers

Ted:smile:

4. LDB415

LDB415

Apr 26, 2008
    Texas
    I believe you may be thinking of home port. Those are good photos. That's an amazing amount of damage. I certainly don't want to fly in that but who knows what they'll do.

5. Zee71

Zee71

Apr 1, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Nice captures..........thank goodness there was no fire, or passengers as well. It could have been worse.

6. Nice shots of a bad situation. It was on local TV here as the home base of the plane is Willow Run which is about 20 miles from my home. Kalitta air is a large freight air line which buys used aircraft after they are retired from passanger service. The owner is the famous drag racer Connie Kalitta.

7. jamesjoyce

jamesjoyce

May 2, 2005
    Belgium
    Thanks for the additional info, Jim!

8. Wow thats pretty crazy. Great captures. Glad no one was seriously injured...

9. Gary Mayo

Gary Mayo Guest

I bet money it will be repaired good as new. Bad as it looks, it is still pretty much in one piece.

Great Captures!

10. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Given that it probably has a very high total hours on airframe and that the fuse is broken in two places, I'd wager it won't be rebuilt. The extra damage done to it to remove it from it's present location should seal the deal. Damage looks structural as the nose and tail both appear to have seperated from the main fuse.

11. Ewout_vB

Ewout_vB

Feb 6, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    Almost looks like an optical illusion, hehe.

12. Now I remember where I seen that logo before.:biggrin:

13. Ahhh....... That'll buff out.:biggrin:

Jim

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.