Craziest image I've ever shot...

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Frits, Apr 24, 2007.

1. OK, I am experimenting here.
    Through the generosity of Cafe member Dave Dickerson, I got myself a Nikon TC-201 2X tele converter (Thanks again Dave!).
    The plan is to use it with my Ai-S 300mm f/2.8. Now, the TC-201 is recommended for focal lengths up to 200mm, with the TC-301 (also 2X) for as of 300mm. With the 300mm the TC-201 is supposed to cause vignetting and bad optical behavior - especially ugly CA.
    Now, in my mind this is for 35mm. I figured that the crop factor would negate most, if not all of the vignetting.
    I also think that for the rest it would depend on the glass. Good glass - good performance. Cheap glass - bad performance.
    Well, the TC arrived and I needed to find out - right now:smile: . So, here is the first shot - indoors of my wife Anne reading a book at quite a distance and in poor end-of-the-day light. Probably the craziest shot I ever took, technically speaking.
    So, 300mm X 2(TC) = 600mm X 1.5 (crop factor) for a 35 mm equivalent of 900mm (!!). Shot wide open (@ f/2.8 - with the TC the available light then is equivalent f/5.6). I pumped up the ISO, which gave me 1/13 sec :)biggrin: :biggrin: ).
    All of this to say that the whole thing is crazy - but the picture is quite OK. NO vignetting at all and for a wide open lens aperture: pretty good. The tripod did an awesome job also for the equiv. focal length of 900mm @ 1/13 sec - LOLOL.
    All of this just because I wanted to see something RIGHT NOW!! :smile: Methinks that the TC-201 with the Ai-S 300mm f/2.8 has a future, regardless of what "they say". I'll come back when I have the opportunity to shoot a good subject for this under good light.

D2x, Nikkor Ai-S 300mm f/2.8 with TC-201 2 X converter (wide open)
    original.

2. 'll come back when I have the opportunity to shoot a good subject for this under good light.

if Anne read this statement you are toast! Very nice Frits!

3. JMartin

JMartin Guest

HAHA I was going to say the same, thing... so you're saying Anne isn't a good subject :biggrin:

4. OK, OK, wise guys :smile: , good subject = a subject more typical for this focal length...

5. Looks to me like the subject made the photo and any old lens would work.
    :smile:

6. With a subject like that, even the bottom of an old soda bottle would work :Whistle: You better think twice before you write something like that again my friend. It's still quite a bit chilly at night out on the porch. :tongue:

7. Well, Frits, I don't know if Anne gets suspicious if you send flowers for no apparent reason, but maybe you'd better risk it. :wink:

Nice job (and great long lens technique at 1/13!). Glad you're enjoying the TC.

8. Of course I agree with all of the above. You can't take a bad image of Anne. But nonetheless, I'm glad you found this combo works well and hope to see more of it from you.