Crazy little thing called Bokeh...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Removed User 2, May 7, 2005.

1. I don't know for you guys... But I think it's about time we give it a real and understandable name while keeping the japanese touch (worst part is I'm only half joking...)

What do you tink of these:

Blurreh

Fuzzak

Fuzzeh

smudgeh

Creamoh/harshoh

Smootheh

Smootie

and

Ootofocus

Maybe do you have a better one :?: :D

2. NB23, why should we replace bokeh with an equally ...bizarre word? :?
    Especially now that we have started to understand what a bokeh really is! :lol:

3. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

4. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    You know Paul, N, being American and all, I want to just take over the word and pronounce it our way. Bo-key. In fact, the blurry orbs that represnet boked out highlights should be called bokey-balls... ;)

However, we are stuck with the Japlish word bokeh and although folks can argue endlessly about it, we also know what it means.

I think what we need is a new optical effect we can name. Maybe pleasing flair quality... Flokey?

5. Flokey... LOL :lol:

6. OK, you folks all need a dose of reality here. In the Software World we just have to change to new words every 5 years or so. I think this is done for a number of reasons, one of which is to sell more books, so there is precedent for this move.

I think the best of the bunch is a variant on ootofocus, which should really be ootofocii because it is plural. That is pronounce "OhOhToeFoeSigh", to be clear. Further specificity can then be had by adding on "Smoothies" or "Yuckies".

Panos, you ask the question of why change just when we are understanding what "bokeh" means and is? Well, I think you have answered your own question, that is EXACTLY why we should change it.

Paul, the REAL reason for the "h" addition, Mike is being kind, is because people in certain parts of the world kept mistaking the word as "bloke" and really mucked everything up. The kept looking for some kind of fuzzy guys in the lens and couldn't find 'em..... :wink:

Chris, I LIKE "bokey-balls", we just have to be sure they aren't confused with Buckminster Fullers Bucky-Balls :wink:

7. How about yogurt? I always think of peach Le Creme yogurt when I look at bokeh. It's really good, and melts in your mouth! :):):)

8. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    That's m&ms. Don't even get me started on rap music!