Cream Machine people pics

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Uncle Frank, Apr 23, 2007.

1. Great shots, Frank. I have the 85/1.4 but have rarely used it. The 28-70 stays on my camera most of the time. I really need to put that lens to work!

2. The 28-70 is another of my faves, David... my primary event lens. The 85/1.4 gets its turn when I'm not under pressure to collect large numbers of photos, and it usually delights.

3. Pixelographer

Pixelographer

Dec 22, 2006
    Frank:
    Great shots! Care to share some secrets? Like - why use f/2.2? What type of flash?
    Would love to learn technique...
    Thanks
    Dave

4. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    Very nice. I've been looking forward to trying that BetterBounceCard idea out, but haven't had anyone to pose for me yet. Great results.

5. I shot at f/2.2 because I wanted to balance the ambient light and the light from the flash. In other words, I didn't want to end up with brightly lit subjects against black backgrounds. By shooting at f/2.2, 1/60, and iso 640, there was enough ambient light to illuminate the background a little.

I used the SB800 flash on a CB Jr. bracket.

Hope that helped.

6. Pixelographer

Pixelographer

Dec 22, 2006
    Frank:
    Thanks - there's more to flash photography than I thought....
    Appreciate the insight.
    Dave

7. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Frank,
    You've again shown what a lens can do. I never miss your threads because they're so informative. But I don't know the CB Jr. bracket. What is that?
    Got any pictures of it? Just curious and probably I should have that in my vocabulary and in my 'war chest' of photo equipment :)
    Thanks for another great thread,
    Gaye

8. Your pics remind me of a party I did when I used my new 105 F2DC lens. I just slung it over my shoulder with an SB-800 in the hot shoe and blasted away as a second camera. Nothing fancy in the way of setup but my pics were very similar to yours. The 105 wanted to be at F2.8 or F4 for more consistent results with the AF in the dark room. I got a few red eye which I corrected in Photoshop.
    Sometimes. at weddings or at parties, we can get too carried away with our fast primes and, when there are two people in the pic, then one will be out of focus. I like F5.6 or F8 if I really must have the pic with two or more people in it.

9. Ah my Cream Machine is on her way to me! If eveything goes well it will be here this Friday then I can share my pictures with you guys :rolleyes:

10. The CB Jr. is a flash bracket, designed to keep the flash above the camera, and keep it directly over the lens in landscape or portrait mode. It helps reduce shadows being cast by the flash. Here's what it looks like in use.

original.

Brackets are cumbersome contraptions, and the only time I use mine is when I'm working an indoor event, like a wedding reception.

11. That's a little confusing, William. Other than dof, the wider aperture has no implications as far as focusing is concerned. The camera always focuses through the wide open lens, no matter what f/stop you select.

I agree, and mostly use wide aperture settings for one-person pics. If I stretch it to two people, I try to remember to keep both of their noses in the same plane. For example, I took this shot at 85mm f/2.2.

12. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Frank, thanks very much,

Gaye

13. Hey Frank, a well done series with the 85 f1.4 along with a bit of very informative information. I am anxious to give it a try!

14. Can I come to the next Christmas party!!!???

15. Great idea. They weren't enough guys, and these wallflowers were disappointed.

View attachment 92160

16. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    They seem to be making do...

17. Sweet. Right after we visit your friend at the Vietnamese restaurant :tongue: :wink: