Cream Machine sample shot

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Uncle Frank, Dec 6, 2005.

1. UPS delivered my new 85/1.4 a few hours ago. It's a beautiful looking hunk of glass, but my first attempts made it clear that it'll take a little study to figure out how to access its magic.

This shot, taken at f/3.5, was a test of the lense's abilty to puree backgrounds.

original.

More to follow :).

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Congratulations Frank. I know how excited you must be. As to your first few shots, the f/3.5 is most impressive. Talk about your good bokeh. :wink:

3. ... and so it begins :)

Yeah, the big-eyed 85 (that's some front element, huh) likes "stuff". It does an excellent job taking pics of stuff, both far and near up to and including F11. As much as it likes stuff, it LOVES people even with flash though the forte is natural light.

It likes a little different post-processing than ED lenses, as well. If the light is "good" (low or strong), you may not need to do anything. If the light is flat, it likes to have a touch of color saturation and a bit of a contrast boost. A small contrast boost can make a huge difference -- I think because of no ED glass. Sharpening? You can add as little or as much as you like. If I nail the focus point, I often add *no* USM. It's almost perfect right out of the cam with sharpening set to low -- depends on what you are after.

It does have a bit of a learning curve but it's a fun trip. The more you use it, the better the images get. Pretty soon you will pop one on screen that makes you say, "wow". This ol' boy is a fine single malt -- appreciation grows with time.

Congrats on the purchase. I can't wait to see what you can do with it.

Phil

4. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    I Like that new Avatar Frank. Ba humbug! All I need now is a D200 right!

Cheers,

Wade

5. Your phrase, " More to follow :) " as you've employed it here, is my nominee for today's "understatement of the day".:biggrin:

Was there ever a doubt??

Congrats.....Just peering through my 1.4 warms my heart.

Even unposed quick snaps are gratifying with it....as in....
    ...my 20 y/o money pit (AKA investment, AKA Vernon III), shown below. f2.8

original.

6. Flash wise, I've used it up to f16 and the images look great. Not sure I understand the f8/f11 thing.

You can see an example at f13 here:

http://www.nvxd.com/gabriel/gabriel-85mm-03.jpg

:confused:

7. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Awesome shot Beez!! :smile:

8. Flash shots are fine but it's easy to see diffraction effects at F11 on images containing fine detail. The images are still more than usable from the 85/1.4 at F11 but there is no doubt diffraction is starting to set in. Since you own one, you are but a few test shots away from understanding.

Phil

9. That's an excellent shot, Vernon... imho, one of your very best!

Boys are a pita from the time they hit puberty until they leave the nest. Just think of Junior as an investment in the grandbaby lottery ;-).

My son got married last June, and my daughter just got engaged and will marry next June. Then I'll have two (very expensive) tickets in the lottery :biggrin:.

10. Well, it appears you have a point. Here you can see 100% crops of f6.3, then f13, D2X, same eye of sleeping child. No sharpening, etc. Lit with hand held soft box.

http://www.nvxd.com/forum_source/diffraction-85.jpg

11. Yep -- that's the same thing I see with my copy. The thing is, the lens is SO sharp that even with diffraction at F11 and tighter, it is still sharper than many other lenses at their sweet spot. Only by comparing it back to itself at wider aps does it become apparent. For instance, your F13 shot shows the effect but you could throw on a little USM and contrast and print the image at quite large size and it would still look good. Just another little bit of the "magic" of the 85/1.4. I simply love mine. :)

Phil

12. I agree it's just a comparative thing. Sharpens right up.

It will be interesting to see UF's people shots with it.

I've been practicing my "UF" technique recently and heck if I have it figured out. That is, flash bracket, people, mixing ambient and flash on the go (the problem for me), etc.

13. Find gentler light. The 85 does better when conditions aren't as harsh. Compose via f-stops.

14. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

15. Uncle Frank...I'm wondering if your new 1.4 baby will lessen your mission-critical love of the big 28-70. As you know, I'm more fond of the 17-55 than the 28-70 but that may entirely be due to the fact that the 85.1.4 is such a perfect compliment to the 17-55.
    You seem to be most passionate and most skilled at shots of the people surrounding you in life. For this purpose the 85 will, I'll predict, intensify that passion very quickly and rather intensely.
    I'm with the other guys....looking forward to being inspired by your 85mm view of the world.

16. I don't think so, Vernon. As I wrote on the "other" forum, I actually need the 28-70/2.8. It's my Mission Critical event lens, and it's given me the confidence to accept wedding assignments. It's landed quite a few once-in-a-lifetime shots that lesser lenses might have missed.

I hope I'll be able to say I need my new 85/1.4, because it will mean I've developed a portrait business, but as of right now, it's LLD... purely a vanity piece.

I hope you're right, Vernon. If it doesn't work out that way, I've blown a wad of money on the wrong lens.

No people in my vicinity today. I was stuck at home, doing some long distance advocacy for my mom. I didn't take a single shot with my new toy :-(.