Creamy bookeh - the 35/1.4 delivers

Focus on the coffee cup

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Focus on the dangerous pedestrian safety bars...

View attachment 216758

Both images at 1.4 ... WOW :eek::biggrin:

One more at 1.4 okay not so creamy at all time but very pleasing to me.

View attachment 216759

Last edited by a moderator:
Makes you wonder why Nikon never made AF versions of some of these wonderful old MF lenses - 35/1.4, 50/1.2, etc.

It's amazing that some of these great primes have gotten so little attention. With the FF sensors becoming more available and "reasonable" in price, it's only natural that some of these classics will rise to the top again.

Makes you wonder why Nikon never made AF versions of some of these wonderful old MF lenses - 35/1.4, 50/1.2, etc.
Some of the wide and standard AIS lenses (20/2.8. 24/2.8, 28/2.8E, 50/1.8, 50/1.4) were upgraded to AF with no further changes to the optical design. The optics of the 35/1.4 and 50/1.2 are too heavy to convert to AF - performance would have been too slow. Also, the rear elements of these lenses are too large - there is no room for the CPU contacts at the rear of the lens. It would be technically very difficult to make an AF f1.2 lens in the Nikon mount. So any new AF lens would have required a complete redesign of the lens. I can imagine it was discussed at Nikon, these are "nice to have" lenses in the lineup, but to be honest the market for high speed primes is very small compared to consumer zooms, and until recently Nikon have chosen to focus on the high volume low-medium end of the market. The D3, D700, new PC lenses, micros and VR superteles shows that Nikon is serious about the high end of the market again, so I guess it is a matter of time before they introduce some new fast primes. I doubt anything will be faster than f1.4 though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom