1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Creamy bookeh - the 35/1.4 delivers

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Candidcameraman, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Focus on the coffee cup

_3CA23dd99.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Focus on the dangerous pedestrian safety bars...

View attachment 216758

Both images at 1.4 ... WOW :eek: :biggrin:

One more at 1.4 okay not so creamy at all time but very pleasing to me.

View attachment 216759

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2008
  2. yep, gotta love da "bookeh"

:tongue:

3. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    wow :eek: 

4. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    very dreamy rendition wide open. my sigma 30/1.4 seems to have creamier bokeh though, but lacks the dreamy look

5. JDann24

JDann24

Dec 15, 2007
    Garland, Texas
    Looks the 35 is giving the legendary 85 1.4 or "the cream" a run for its money. Good shots Dude.

6. Meant to ask - which 35/1.4 is this?

7. I never tried the Sigma - I would love to compare.

Thank you

That's the Nikon 35/1.4 AI-S :smile:

8. randyr5

randyr5

Jan 14, 2006
    Michigan
    Makes you wonder why Nikon never made AF versions of some of these wonderful old MF lenses - 35/1.4, 50/1.2, etc.

9. JPHoush

JPHoush

Jun 7, 2008
    Illinois
    It's amazing that some of these great primes have gotten so little attention. With the FF sensors becoming more available and "reasonable" in price, it's only natural that some of these classics will rise to the top again.

10. rvink

rvink

Mar 21, 2006
    New Zealand
    Some of the wide and standard AIS lenses (20/2.8. 24/2.8, 28/2.8E, 50/1.8, 50/1.4) were upgraded to AF with no further changes to the optical design. The optics of the 35/1.4 and 50/1.2 are too heavy to convert to AF - performance would have been too slow. Also, the rear elements of these lenses are too large - there is no room for the CPU contacts at the rear of the lens. It would be technically very difficult to make an AF f1.2 lens in the Nikon mount. So any new AF lens would have required a complete redesign of the lens. I can imagine it was discussed at Nikon, these are "nice to have" lenses in the lineup, but to be honest the market for high speed primes is very small compared to consumer zooms, and until recently Nikon have chosen to focus on the high volume low-medium end of the market. The D3, D700, new PC lenses, micros and VR superteles shows that Nikon is serious about the high end of the market again, so I guess it is a matter of time before they introduce some new fast primes. I doubt anything will be faster than f1.4 though.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2008
  11. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.