Creating a Vignette with PhotoShop

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by DavidM, Sep 2, 2005.

1. I've been experimenting a bit with vignettes lately, and thought that I might start a discussion about different ways to create them and to what extent people might use them. As such, I started creating a "step-by-step approach" posting that was to include several screen shots to help illustrate what I was doing.

Although originally I was going to do this with a single posting here, I also decided to use it to force myself to get to know Adobe GoLive (that I've had for over a year without touching at all until now). Besides, it was too large to post by the time I was done with it.

If you're interested or even remotely curious, have a look: One Way to do a Vignette with PhotoShop

And I'm especially interested in your thoughts about how this can be done better. :smile: That includes both the vignette process as well as how we can discuss things like this online.

Thanks!

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Hi David,

I just found this.

Excellent. A need to know. Well done.

Hope you are going to leave that there. I have bookmarked it to follow.

Thank You

PS good to see you :>)))))

3. Hey Gale -

Thanks for the comments. One of the things that I really struggle with is how much (or how dark) to make the vignette. It seems that I can return to the same picture just a few minutes later and have very different thoughts about how much to apply. Guess that just proves that I'm really insane.... :eek:

4. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Photoshop CS2 makes it very easy to add a vignette using the Lens Correction tool (Filters | Distort | Lens Correction). It's primary purpose is actually to correct unwanted vignetting, but you can use negative amount to add vignetting. The sliders allow you to control the intensity and the size of the vignette.