Creating a Website with IWeb....

Discussion in 'Apple/Mac' started by Doug Barber, May 4, 2007.

1. Greetings:

I thought I would post this as there might be others who are either trying or thinking about using Iweb as a tool to create your website.

In the ealy going it looked like Iweb was quit limiting as it did not allow you to do a few things that would be considered normal using more complicated software. These things might include features like slideshows running right inside Iweb, comment features running inside Iweb, setting up your site so a (linked) page would NOT take the viewer off your site but would open the linked page as a separate page. Finally, Apple says you cannot run "Flash" in IWeb sites but that is not correct.

Here is a link to a site I've built using Iweb with (all) the features that Apple says one cannot do with their software.

http://two-ways-of-knowing.ca/index.html

Most of the work-arounds came from this site that is a wonderful resource of how do do stuff:
    http://www.rowan-cottage.co.uk/Site/Articles.html
    This guy has even figured out how to do cool stuff like drop down menu's and other cool stuff....

Have fun

2. Cool. Thanks! Is your site hosted on .Mac? That is one of the reasons I haven't fooled with iWeb...I haven't had .mac in a LONG time.

3. Thanks Doug! I'm bookmarking this right now.

4. No this site is not a .Mac account as Apples server is just to slow... Thius is a normal FTP account.

5. Great! Thanks for the links. I'll have to see what I can whip up with iWeb now.

6. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    I built my site with iWeb also. I, for one , actually like that there are limitations. This allows me to make a cleaner site with less bells and whistles. Works for me :wink:

7. you are right.... if you want... simple .... i'm not sure there is much out there easier than Iweb

8. Thanks Doug, This could prove very useful!

9. Dave for you..... nothing but the best links....:biggrin:

10. Logan

Logan Guest

one more reason for me to get a mac!!! now i just need to working more hours!!!