Creating something From Nothing....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Doug Barber, Feb 11, 2005.

1. Greetings all:
    I thought I would share a recent result from a clinic that I put on here in my local town...
    It seems that as time goes by I'm being asked more and more to lend a hand to other photographers who want to do some things that (might) be seen as a "little different".
    I’m sure that we can all relate to the reality of our craft... This being that we have the skill to take the WOW image from time to time. But most of us also take a pile of "Why did I bother to take that image" captures. These images sit on our hard drives and never see the light of day. They are never printed and never shown to others.
    The clinic I put on was designed to help folks figure out how to create something from what (might) be considered a "go no where" image. The process involved taking a field trip on day #1 and shooting images that you new would NOT knock your socks off... Then coming back into the office and working through all the images to see what one can do.
    In this case, we took two images that were created on slides (but it could have been digital) and created a montage.
    The two images involved were stacked and then scanned. So in this case we took an image of the barn and added in an image of a fish bowl to give us a little color.
    As you can see this process really allows one to take two images that would normally not see the light of day and turn it into something that is quit acceptable.
    I'm hoping by posting this, I will assist others to look at their images and see what can be done. I know in the case, the owner of these images is just tickled pink with the results we have achieved.
    Good luck with your project....

2. Hi Doug,

The picture and the process can be called creative visual art. Nicely done, my friend.

My salutations to he whole family.

3. very nice effect

Doug
    Very nice I really like the effect you put on this one, I sure wish I had some PS skill like you do

4. Interesting technique, should not be to hard to do in PS?

One can of course also use filters, I used a Microsoft Product named Photodraw 2 (it was supposed to be a business graphics tool, but is squarely an artistic graphics program, one can surely do this in PS as well..) to create last year christmas card. Do you have any more information on how this was done?

Here is my 04 christmas card:
    large.

5. Very creative Doug and another fine example of who you are as a photographer. Well done my friend.

Andreas, I like your image as well. Different path but same result, a creative and effective image.

6. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Now *this* is where Nikoncafe can benefit all of us.... :)

The low noise level here makes these kinds of threads a lot more pleasent to read through, and I found this one to be very informative.

Thanks to both Doug and Andreas. :!: :!:

Frank

7. CraigH.

CraigH.

Feb 1, 2005
    Northen NJ
    Nice work Doug! I'd hang this one for sure.

8. Re: Interesting technique, should not be to hard to do in PS

Andreas:
    This is a very effective piece you have created here... VERY WELL DONE. I really like the way the tire tracks lead my eye into the scene. Is this multi images that you stacked? I'm sorry I don't know anything about "PhotoDraw" but I will look it up and see what its about.
    Thanks again for your input into this thread as it gives others a chance to get the creative juices flowing....

9. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Wow, nice work people!

10. Hi Dao:
    I'm glad you looked in on the little post.... With the work I've seen coming from you of late, I'm just happy that you would bother with anything I might post.

11. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Doug,

Excellent.

Thank You for sharing this. Food for thought.

Best
    Gale

12. Hi mike, Gordon, Frank Craig and Gregory.....
    Thanks for the kind words.... I'm hoping this will get you guy's looking at your HD's and see what you can put together.....
    So I'm waiting....lol

13. Hi Doug and Andreas,

I too love your work. This is awesome. Like Doug said, I have to see what I can do to stack two images together to see what creation I can come up with. I have several landscapes that might work for this.

14. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Great idea Doug. I don't think I'm anywhere near as artistic, but I'll give it a shot. I don't know, but methinks you bin shots that would be my keepers....

Anyways, in the meantime, here's some I normally would have binned, but I did my usual artsy stuff to it to get these:

It was a rainy day (infact, still raining) when I took this shot, the angle of the sun setting and the unstability of the platform I was on (on a tram) necessitated high ISO and shutter speeds. The original was quite crappy, so I hid it with blur (to enhance the fog/rain effect):

[​IMG]

Not very good, but oh well.

Here's another from the same shoot - dull, mundane colors and drab rainy skies as the sun started to set. I did a velvia effect with this one:
    [​IMG]

15. Doug and Andreas,

Inspring work. Thanks for sharing.

Joe