1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Creative Posing Ideas for Group

Discussion in 'People' started by McQ, Sep 26, 2008.

1. McQ

McQ Just your average, everyday moderator. Moderator

Hey all you creative folks! A friend of mine is photographing a family get-together for a family of about 25 people in two weeks. She is a photographer (uses Minolta, but I'm working on her!), but is feeling very much like she has "photographer's block". She wants to pose this group in non-traditional ways, but just can't seem to get her creativity to flow.

She asked me for my ideas and since I shoot 90% sports action, I had nothing for her. :redface: I can't pose a question, let alone a large group.

So I wanted to see if I could get some ideas here and pass them along to her. Again, this is a family, with at least three generations of people all mixed in: newborns, grandparents, etc.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

2. oddstray

oddstray

Jul 29, 2007
    San Diego
    My brother, some years back, paid for our family reunion. And paid a professional photographer to take some photos.

That photographer took some really good photos. And then asked us, "what photos would *you* like me to take?" And the results were some of the more cherished photos from the event.

3. McQ

Yep, that's a good way to get some interesting shots. I know she'll try that too.

4. McQ

Come on gang! that's it? :eek: 

There must be some more really good ideas or sites with ideas for posing this group. I'm counting on you all! :smile:

5. McQ

Pretty Please???!!! :biggrin:

6. McQ

121 views and no more ideas? From people who shoot portraits? I'm devastated! :wink:

Come on folks, I'm asking for your help here. There have to be people with great ideas for posing a group like this, or who know where to find someone who does.

7. aspiringphotos

aspiringphotos

Sep 26, 2008
    Kansas
    Ack! I have no ideas, I viewed to see some, LOL! I'm on the yearbook staff for my kids' school this year and ..... I got nuthin!

8. McQ

Kelly, thanks for the message. No problem. I appreciate the reply though. I was beginning to think I was invisible, or had bad breath or something! LOL!

All these views and only two people with even a reply or tip! This may be the first time the Cafe has let me down. :frown:

9. I have this book http://www.amazon.com/Best-Family-P...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1222808074&sr=8-1 and found it to be very informative in regards to posing family groups. I recommend she get it to help get her creative juices flowing. Another book from the same author is http://www.amazon.com/Group-Portrai...=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1222808074&sr=8-2 but I'm not sure I would recommend both, as I imagine many of the techniques are the same in each book. Plus, I'm pretty sure the cover shot of the second book is also featured in the Family Portrait book above. I know I've seen it somewhere, and I think it was from the book I bought.

10. McQ

Thanks, for the links to these books! I may just pick one of these up and give it to my friend as a gift. Both look good, from the Amazon.com descriptions. Maybe I'll get lucky and find one of them at my local B&N too.

She just needs a bit of encouragement, as she is a pretty good photographer, but is really in a rut right now.

11. No takers?
    Hmm . . .
    I'm not a group photographer, not really a people person but,
    go for variety, first thought is 25 people or so standing around next to each other . . .boring!
    Some standing, some sitting/laying on the ground, throw a chair in there and have couples sitting on it and eachother (girlfriend on boys lap type thing. Sunny day? Throw an umbrella in. Got pets? Someone into sports? Hold a bat. I'd dress them all similarly but pose in a wide variety of ideas. Who knows, you might get a good shot or two. Just my 2 cents worth:tongue:

12. Think wide angle for a group shot.

13. McQ

More ideas...thank you guys! I appreciate it. Nothing is too minor or too mundane to suggest for this. You never know what will spark an idea and make a memorable sitting.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.