1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Creative Posing Ideas for Group

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by McQ, Sep 26, 2008.

1. McQ

McQ Just your average, everyday moderator. Moderator

I posted this in "People", but then thought it was appropriate here and might be seen by more folks, so please forgive the double thread!

A friend of mine is photographing a family get-together for a family of about 25 people in two weeks. She is a photographer (uses Minolta, but I'm working on her!), but is feeling very much like she has "photographer's block". She wants to pose this group in non-traditional ways, but just can't seem to get her creativity to flow.

She asked me for my ideas and since I shoot 90% sports action, I had nothing for her. :redface: I can't pose a question, let alone a large group.

So I wanted to see if I could get some ideas here and pass them along to her. Again, this is a family, with at least three generations of people all mixed in: newborns, grandparents, etc.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

2. McQ

Bumping this for help! Please folks. Someone has got to have some advice here.

I am linking to the other thread. Really need some help on this gang! Come on, don't let me down! :smile:

Several days in the "People" thread and not a single bit of help yet. 160+ views and only two people even bothered saying anything at all. :frown:

https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=190576

First one to help gets my 15 year old son for a week. :biggrin:

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  3. When I need ideas I do a Google search for family portraits and then surf other photographer's websites. There are some creative folk out there for sure...

4. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    25 is a pretty big number. I guess one of the factors that will come into play will be the location.

Are they going to be in a studio? In a home? Outside? On the beach.

I'm not a pro photog and so the only big group I've ever shot was at a 4th of July cookout:

p196236227-4.

To be completely honest they posed themselves. The most creative thing I did was tell them to throw their hands in the air.

There are a lot of poses for groups that are creative but I'm just not sure how they'd work for 25, here are some things I've seen/thought about:

- photographer lies on floor, shoots with fiesheye and group gathers round in circle and leans in. But this wouldn't work with 25, might work if she will be doing sub family groups

- Head of family (grandparents??) are in centre, rest of family is gathered around tightly in a circle but then they lean outwards (like petals??), photographer is shooting from high vantage point - this might work??

- Photographer shoots from high and group is posed into a letter. Maybe a formation of the letter S if their name is "Smith"

- Maybe stage a dinner - would need a very big dining table

I would agree with Jim that if she does some internet searches for "family portraits" then she will probably get a lot of inspiration. Or maybe spend some time in her local Borders and flick through some of the general books on posing to make sure that people are angled to the camera etc.

If she is a photographer then I'm sure she'll be able to advise them in advance of choice of clothing etc

I think the location will really play into this as well.

Sorry I'm not much help.

5. Stairs and people sitting

Stairs and people sitting make a great set up.

UnOraison45.

6. McQ

Thanks everyone. Good ideas. Really, I'm taking anything back to her and hoping that it sparks some creativity in her again. All this will help.

Jim, I never thought to just browse other photogs sites. It's a great idea.

Thanks again for sharing your ideas and thoughts folks! Much appreciated!

7. bigsushi

bigsushi

Jul 22, 2008
    Cotonou, Benin
    This is kind of a specific idea but I've seen a few family photos where the family arranges themselves around something that has meaning to them like the old family car, on the porch of the house where everyone grew up or around the piano that mom made everyone practice on etc.

It is a fairly specific idea, but figured I'd throw it out there and it may spark an idea.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.